Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
Window Problem

I just noticed that when I go lower the rear drivers side window in my 1998 E320 that the motor makes noise but the window moves only a small amount if at all. (I fact the motor keeps spinning as a result of auto up/down)

I have not had a chance to remove the door panel yet but I would suspect that there is a problem with the window linkage.

Is there typical cause for such a problem? What things should I look for and how difficult is this repair

Thanks again

This board is great and I enjoy reading all of the wonderful posts.

John
Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 PM

you need a new window regulator. Usually costs around $200 at a dealership to have done. I think you need to rivet the new regulator on so it may be better to pay someone else to save the headache.
Old 10-19-2002, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The rear window regulators in the E Class have plastic pullys that sometimes do break or wear out. A new regulator is needed. Dealer is your best bet. Not real expensive.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:59 PM

e320 wagon
It wasn't the Regulator

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I now know that almost all problems with w210 rear windows are regulators.

I called to see if my local dealer had a new regulator in stock, since this is such a common part they did have it.

I removed the door panel to check out the problem (to see if I really wanted to do the job) and I found the regulator to be working fine, but the metal frame that attaches to the bottom of the glass had become unbonded. Relieved that it wasn't the regulator I went to the auto glass shop to have this other problem fixed.

I am the second owner of this car so I don't know all of the vehicles history but I found something out today. The regulator on the car has already been replaced, because rivots should have been the were small machine screws, the window must have been replaced because the lower part of the door was filled with glass.

Thanks again for all of the help this site is great!

John