Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle at start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02/ C230 Coupe
Question Rattle at start up

My 02 C230 Kompressor has started to rattle at start up but only for a second or two. It did it in the past after the car sat for about a week and the dealer changed the variable valve timing advance mech. with an updated one. This is now just starting to do it when hot and the car sits for a few hours. It does go away and I always use 0w40 Mobil 1. Just wonder if the 0w oil is bleeding out. The noise I hear is the timing chain, not the HLA's. One tech. told me that it wouldn't hurt the engine but it does bother me. Should I try 5w40 oil ???
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM

2002 C230K, 2006 VZ800
Try MB spec sheet 229.3 5W 40 FULL SYN!!!!!! It made my rattling go away.
Change the oil with the filter, and just remeber when you did it so you can do it again when the ticker says service a or b. Make sure you always replace the copper washer on the pan, and the big O-ring in oil filter cap.
I have castrol FULL SYN 5W40.

Rommel
Old 08-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Smile Good Advise

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on getting away from the 0W40 Mobil 1 because I think it is so thin that it bleeds out. I am planing on using Amsoil 5W40 european blend. I have seen tests that prove it is a better product. My car sometimes sits for periods and when it first starts will run dry and Amsoil still protects. I have also seen a precharger available from them that preloads oil into the engine to gets things going before startup. Not sure if it is available for my car but will feel comfortable knowing that Amsoil leaves a film on all parts to protect better. By the way, this is the first car that I have owned that has this problem. Time will tell how long it lasts as I keep cars till they are used up.