Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wits end...04 E55 handsfree phone help please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Wits end...04 E55 handsfree phone help please.

Hello,

I have an 04 E55 with handsfree phone. I don't know off the top of my head which model phone it is, but it's a cheap-looking, low-tech Motorola with a silver MB-logo cover.

The phone worked fine from the time it was installed, but early this year it started having malfunctions. I'd hit the column lever to trigger voice command, and the COMAND screen would go to the proper screen, but when I'd speak the number or name I wanted to call, it wouldn't register, and would soon emit a very high-pitched tone from the system. Sometimes the tone would stop on its own, sometimes I'd have to turn off the COMAND system to make it stop. The phone would work fine as a hand-held; the only problems arose when it was in the cradle. The malfunction is intermittent...I'd say the phone will work handsfree in the car 30% of the time.

I took it to the dealer (MB of Miami), and thus began a saga of them having my car for 3 days to a 1.5 weeks at a time, with them "fixing" it, only to have the problem return a few miles away, or a few days later. I think the car was in for at least 3 service appointments, with the car being in their possession for a total of a month.

The last decision from them was that the problem lay with my phone, and that I'd have to buy a new phone from them ($6-800). They determined this by allegedly taking the phone out of the cradle, making a few calls, and when one of the calls was dropped, they decided my phone was faulty. Bear in mind that I've found that the phone works just fine when it's out of the cradle, and doesn't drop calls any more than any other cell phone I've used. I'm not a techie, but I'm skeptical at their determination, and I think they simply didn't know what was wrong, and were tired of dealing with me. (that was a whole 'nother issue, as by the end my patience was wearing thin at the complete lack of comms from the service manager who was handling my car...a different service manager than I started with, because the first guy quit...the 2nd service manager wouldn't return my calls for a week at a time because, as he put it, "I don't have any updates for you.")

Has anyone experienced this sort of malfunction with their phone? If so, what was the outcome? Also, is there a new phone on the market that would be compatible with my '04 cradle? I was just notified by my wireless company that the phone I have in the car is on a network that will no longer be supported, and my wireless co is offering to give me a new phone free of charge. Of course I'd rather be able to get a free phone than pay $6-800 for a new one from MB, but I don't know if the new ones are compatible with the cradle & technology in the car.

Thank you for you info.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Your phone is a V60i which Verizon won't support. You can get a bluetooth puck for you car that will enable you to use a Moto Razr. Probably the way to go.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
thanks Eddie. I agree that's the way to go.