Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven suspension in my 400E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
Uneven suspension in my 400E

I haven't seen this discussed so I hope someone, maybe an MBTech, can help me out. I have a 93 400E W124. I just bought this car about 3 months ago and have had two issues crop up. First, the tires on the car have started to generate a drumbing or droning at hight speed....they are not out of balance. Since they are still under warranty I had them checked and the answer was "cupping" so Continental (CH95) are off the hook. They suggest alignment which makes sense. The car does pull slightly left. But more worrying is the fact that the car doesn't sit even....it droops abit on the front left, most noticable. But when I checked all 4 wheels the rears are out as well as the front, but on opposite sides. Measuring from the centre of the "star" on the wheel centre cap to the bottom of the fender opening, the right rear is (390mm) 15.35in and the left rear is (380)mm 14.80in. The front right is (365mm)14.40in. and front left measures (380mm)15.00in. So right rear is higher than the left rear and the front right is lower than the front left. The car has never been in a major accident so I doubt the frame is twisted. Could this be something as simple as a bad spring or strut? I don't know if one of the springs was ever changed, but if it was how would I tell if they are matched correctly? And...if it is a bad spring or strut, would that contribute to the tires cupping, assuming the alignment isn't bad? I'm hoping someone can give me some insight before I start heading off in the wrong direction, removing and replacing pieces that don't need replacing.