Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
Question Turn signal

Recently, on my C240 with 10,000 miles, when I turn on my right signal and make a sharp right turn and return the steering wheel back to go straight, the left signal will then blink 3 times. That is the feature if you touch the turn signal lightly to shift lanes.

Has anyone had this happen? What does it take to fix it?

It is a minor distraction to me, and based on Murphy's law, if it takes a bit of work for the dealer to fix, will they end up scratching the steering wheel etc. to fix it?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I read one of the early magazine articles on the new C where this was mentioned as a quality issue from some early production customers. I recall it said that when the turn signal stalk returned to neutral it sometimes overcorrected "snapped" to indicate a turn in the opposite direction.

Having read this, I've been tuned to look for this fault with my car, and to see if it crops up with others on this forum. Bad news is yours is the first post on this subject since I've been reading here. The good news is that I suspect MB knows all about this one and has a fix ready for you when you schedule an appointment at the dealer.

If it's just an annoyance, I'd add it to your short list of items to be corrected at your next dealer visit. If you think that by throwing false signals at other drivers it could be a safety issue, I'd schedule that visit sooner rather than later.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I've never seen or heard of that problem either, but I assume the spring in your combination switch is a little too stiff. I'd replace the switch assembly to resolve this.