Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK 430 Start Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Start Issue

2001 CLK 430

I put the key in to start and WAHM! everything turned off.... I can't lock the doors, or turn the ignition..... It is completly stutdown...

It did rain yesterday.... Any ideas?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:04 AM

CLK430
Is your battery dead?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM

I am waiting for roadside assistance.... I tried the truck but the blade key won't open it.....

The battery could be dead from age. I also drive about 5 miles to and from work, so that could have really made things worse...

Also, i have a burnt out license plate bulb that has been throwing out the "lamp defect" light. Maybe this has a short, buit that seems a bit small for such an issue.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

UPDATE....

Roadside stopped by. Seems the two blade keys given to me upon purchase of the car do not work on the car. The truck was unable to be opened do the car must be towed.....

Also, the tech told me the battery was replaced in Jan. 2007, If it is the battery (which i do not think it is) then it will be free!

I probably will not find out anything until Monday.... I miss the car already.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 PM

96 c36
sounds like your eis (electronic ignition switch) took a ****. if you get a short test run on your car via sds, and the eis or ezl which ever one it says in the test, has a ? mark buy it, then you need to replace the eis
Old 10-06-2007, 04:44 PM

truck
Did you try another Remote? if not it could be a bad key,or EIS..but a few times I seen a blown fuse for the steering lock do that also..
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Update

I ment to update this.....

I guess the trunk lock was broken, so no keys were going to work in it. The tech was able to jump the car from the alternator and open the trunk

Guess what it was.......

The battery cable was loose........

They wanted to change me $467 just for the new lock.....

The automatic button still works off the key chain, and the truck opens and closes fine. I have used the blade about 0 times to open the trunk.... I have decied to wait on that because the cables are now tight and the batterry is only 5 months old.... I can see spending $500+ for something i may never use....

Hopefully i do not leave the lights on!