Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quaife LSD Drawbacks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Quaife LSD Drawbacks?

After reading here and asking around my plan for my new M113 E55 C-Class is a Quaife 215 spline LSD, Kleeman headers, a set of Toyo Proxes and a custom ECU. I read in a couple of places that putting in an LSD means you disable the ESP. I like having the ESP watching my rear sometimes with the ability to turn it (mostly) off when needed. Is that true with the Quaife, that ESP gets disabled? Are there any drawbacks besides the ticket price like wheel hop or whine?

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 09-28-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
No, ESP isn't disabled when the Quaife LSD is installed. For street driving I leave ESP on. At the 1/4 mile track I turn it off.

I've only experienced wheel hop once and that was launching at the track. Every other track launch and every street launch has been smooth with no wheel hop.

No whine, either. Not from the diff and not from this driver.

It's a good mod...you'll like it!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
ESP is less intrusive due to the fact the system sees both rear wheels spinning at the same time. It is not disabled.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
After reading here and asking around my plan for my new M113 E55 C-Class is a Quaife 215 spline LSD, Kleeman headers, a set of Toyo Proxes and a custom ECU. I read in a couple of places that putting in an LSD means you disable the ESP. I like having the ESP watching my rear sometimes with the ability to turn it (mostly) off when needed. Is that true with the Quaife, that ESP gets disabled? Are there any drawbacks besides the ticket price like wheel hop or whine?
Changing the differential carrier can, in some cases affect pinion depth and back lash. If installed correctly, with pinion depth and back lash verification, you should have no Whine. ESP is not disabled.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
putting a Quaife LSD into a e55 rear end does not require pinion removal at all. I have not done a c55 rear end but if it's the same pumpkin, then no pinion adjustment required.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Used to drive E55
Originally Posted by sunil @ motorwerks
putting a Quaife LSD into a e55 rear end does not require pinion removal at all. I have not done a c55 rear end but if it's the same pumpkin, then no pinion adjustment required.
This may be a stupid question. But is the Quaife LSD the same as having a posi rear. both wheels turn at the same time. I had that on my Mitsubishi a long time ago and it was great for doing donuts. If not than what is the advantage of having the Quaife over the stock set up. I have the 1999
w210 E55.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
stock = open rear end
posi is similar to the quaife.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 PM

I never said the pinion had to be removed, reread my post.

Pinion depth is the distance between the center line of the ring gear and the pinion end, with that said.

Any changes that alters factory position of the ring gear WILL alter pinion depth pattern. Exchanging the differential carrier (what the ring gear bolts to) can alter pinion depth, backlash can alter pinion depth pattern with out moving the pinion.

This Quaife differential carrier that I installed needed pinion adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails Quaife LSD Drawbacks?-quaife.jpg  
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
when doing a quaife install, the factory position is retained or an attempt to retain it as much as possible is attempted. The shims on either side are available in various sizes from mercedes benz. Your pic shows an additional set of bearings. I have not seen those before. On all the quaife installs I have done, the bearings are carried over.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 PM

when doing a quaife install, the factory position is retained or an attempt to retain it as much as possible is attempted. The shims on either side are available in various sizes from mercedes benz. Your pic shows an additional set of bearings. I have not seen those before. On all the quaife installs I have done, the bearings are carried over.

I am very familiar with Mercedes differentials and transmissions, this is not a hobby for me, I have been rebuilt transmissions, differentials and transfer cases for 40 years and still do, all makes and models. I finish a Porsche LSD differential on Friday.

I know the bearing retaining snap rings are selective. The back lash was set to the original setting, but the pinion depth contact pattern was top heel and toe, +.003 pinion adjustments was needed. It’s not UN common to have non OEM replacement parts out of specification, thus needing some adjustment. I don’t use old bearings or seals; I install new ones on every differential.
Attached Thumbnails Quaife LSD Drawbacks?-p-diff.jpg   Quaife LSD Drawbacks?-plsd.jpg  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAFFIE55
This may be a stupid question. But is the Quaife LSD the same as having a posi rear. both wheels turn at the same time. I had that on my Mitsubishi a long time ago and it was great for doing donuts. If not than what is the advantage of having the Quaife over the stock set up. I have the 1999
w210 E55.

Quaife differentials are very similar to torsen differentials, below is a good technical explanation of different automotive differentials.

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/PS84Gleason.html
Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Just read the link. Great info . Thanks.