Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get alignment done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Where to get alignment done?

For tire balancing, I know people say to go to any shop with a Hunter GSP9700 system. What about for alignments? I need to get my 300SE's alignment checked (the steering wheel is turned almost 30 degrees to the right when I'm going straight in the lefthand lane of the highway). The dealerships and my regular independent shop are closed on Sundays, so I was going to go to an NTB or Merchant's or Chevron gas station or something. Should I be okay? Also, how much should I expect to pay? If anyone has any particular suggestions for Northern VA, I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, I've noticed lately that when I'm braking, near the end, when the car is about to come to a complete stop, there's a grinding type of noise. It only happens just when I'm about to come to a stop, not in the middle of braking. Any thoughts what this could be? CV joint or something?

TIA.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
year 2000 model E-320 210 chassis
I'm not sure if your model requires a camber kit...with my model E-320 a camber kit needs to be ordered by indy to do a wheel alignment. I think you will pay close to the same price dealer or not..probably a little over $100 especially if camber kit is needed.

Normally most place charge $40/$60 for front and back for alignment in NYC maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Grinding sound might be worn/warped rotors.....Any vibration upon braking?

Originally Posted by Incendiary
For tire balancing, I know people say to go to any shop with a Hunter GSP9700 system. What about for alignments? I need to get my 300SE's alignment checked (the steering wheel is turned almost 30 degrees to the right when I'm going straight in the lefthand lane of the highway). The dealerships and my regular independent shop are closed on Sundays, so I was going to go to an NTB or Merchant's or Chevron gas station or something. Should I be okay? Also, how much should I expect to pay? If anyone has any particular suggestions for Northern VA, I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, I've noticed lately that when I'm braking, near the end, when the car is about to come to a complete stop, there's a grinding type of noise. It only happens just when I'm about to come to a stop, not in the middle of braking. Any thoughts what this could be? CV joint or something?

TIA.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by KADE
I'm not sure if your model requires a camber kit...with my model E-320 a camber kit needs to be ordered by indy to do a wheel alignment. I think you will pay close to the same price dealer or not..probably a little over $100 especially if camber kit is needed.

Normally most place charge $40/$60 for front and back for alignment in NYC maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Grinding sound might be worn/warped rotors.....Any vibration upon braking?
I brought it to Merchant's over the weekend and they said the toe and caster were fine but camber was off by 0.1 degree, which doesn't seem like a very big deal. And you're right, they said they couldn't adjust caster or camber, only toe.

There's no vibration with braking. The front end just groans as if something or someone (hopefully not me) is about to die.