Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!! Car Won't Start :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 10:25 PM

slk 320
Please Help!!! Car Won't Start :(

My 2004 slk 320 was working fine..

Then over the weekend I left the lights on.. called road side assistance to come boost the car,,, They boosted the car .. yet it still would Not start.. so they tested the battery and the battery is now fine holding a charge. The guy left not having a clue what it could be.

It has been 3 days now that I have been trying to get the car to start,,

This is what is happening :

The lights work, the doors open with the key fob, stereo turns on etc..

But when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the right ,, Nothing happens its as if I have a kill switch activated and its not allowing gas to the engine

So I turn the key, all the icons in the dash light up, the head lights turn on.. But that’s it!! No reving , no sound coming from the engine..

I must have turned it 100 times over the last 3 days in hopes of it starting.. and each time the same thing..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Wrote this fast, please ask any questions..

Thank you!!
Old 10-16-2007 | 12:46 PM

SL500
If it doesn't even turn the engine over, your starter isn't getting the juice or there's an open circuit in the ignition system. Your best bet is to get it towed to your workshop. I don't think cranking it a hundred times is going to make a difference. Try this, this used to work on one of my older mercs: Turn on ignition, put to neutral, move the car about a foot, put to Park, try to start it.
Old 10-16-2007 | 06:17 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I had a dead car a couple of weeks ago. I had only bought the car 2 weeks earlier. I think my battery had drained somehow. When I tried to start, there was no attempted ignition, all the panel lights came on, and then I got big red SBC errors. When I looked that up in the book, it said the battery was probably low. So, I disconnected the battery, charged it on low for about 20hrs, reconnected and it has been lovely ever since.

I had thought the dead battery was me playing with setting on/off convenience features. When I got the car going those convenience features were all off, and I won't even try them now. I then had the car serviced at an independent and told him the story. He told me that by disconnecting the battery all settings revert to factory.

Maybe, you could disconnect the battery for a day or so. Connect it backup and see if that makes any difference. If it's got it's knickers in a twist from the lights being on, maybe a reboot (!) would sort it out.

I am a newbie here, and have only had an MB for 2 months, so I am no oracle or anything. This is just a suggestion.

Good luck!!
Old 10-17-2007 | 12:33 AM

slk 320
Bump

Originally Posted by extensive
My 2004 slk 320 was working fine..

Then over the weekend I left the lights on.. called road side assistance to come boost the car,,, They boosted the car .. yet it still would Not start.. so they tested the battery and the battery is now fine holding a charge. The guy left not having a clue what it could be.

It has been 3 days now that I have been trying to get the car to start,,

This is what is happening :

The lights work, the doors open with the key fob, stereo turns on etc..

But when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the right ,, Nothing happens its as if I have a kill switch activated and its not allowing gas to the engine

So I turn the key, all the icons in the dash light up, the head lights turn on.. But that’s it!! No reving , no sound coming from the engine..

I must have turned it 100 times over the last 3 days in hopes of it starting.. and each time the same thing..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Wrote this fast, please ask any questions..

Thank you!!
Old 10-18-2007 | 10:39 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Any luck?
Old 10-18-2007 | 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Buy a battery charger (a good one) and hook it up to your battery (after disconnecting the battery from the car). Let it charge for a day and see if that helps.