Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG Dash Lights: Are Some Ununsed on Some Models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007 | 07:04 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
AMG Dash Lights: Are Some Ununsed on Some Models?

In bright sun I can see at least two warning lights on my speedo that I don't think are hooked up to anything. I can see one that looks like a tire (in cross section) with an exclamation mark and another that looks like a pair of cars one behind the other (racing?). I assume these are for pressure warning and some sort of ESP race mode that my C55 doesn't have. Do they use the same gauges across multiple lines and just not hook up some lights? My manual says the tire pressure monitors alert on the multi-function display and not the speedo. Is that right?
Old 10-19-2007 | 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
My guesses....

Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
... a tire (in cross section) with an exclamation mark and another that looks like a pair of cars one behind the other (racing?).
Tire pressure warning and Distronic activation. I don't believe US gets Distronic.
Old 10-19-2007 | 11:29 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Tire pressure warning and Distronic activation. I don't believe US gets Distronic.
Ah. The TP warning I figured but the manual says the warning is not on the gauge but rather on the multifunction display so I assume the TP warning light on the gauge is not operational. The Distronic I didn't know but now that you mention it, the little picture makes sense. I test drove an SL55 that had it but my C-Class definitely doesn't so I assume that's a bogus light too. Right?

Here's an interesting test of the Distronic (had to Google it). Ok so it's long as schit and it's all in German but the big question is, what's that thing on the dude's upper lip near the beginning? I think he's majorly herped-out. Just before the mid-point you get a much better look at it. If it's a mustache thing then he needs a better style consultant.
Old 10-19-2007 | 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
....my C-Class definitely doesn't so I assume that's a bogus light too. Right?.
Another guess...some features are only available in Europe but the panels are all the same. Or they change their minds about introducing a feature but the production ramp-up can't wait that long to delete it from the production pieces. Or....it's a future feature in waiting.
Old 10-20-2007 | 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Another guess...some features are only available in Europe but the panels are all the same. Or they change their minds about introducing a feature but the production ramp-up can't wait that long to delete it from the production pieces. Or....it's a future feature in waiting.
I think you're hitting the nail on the head. Probably a global part but not available here. Or likely that there are just a few dash panels but the low-end C-Class doesn't get all the bells and whistles. It just gets monster torque!