Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed washer fluid & wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
changed washer fluid & wheels

hiya

changed the washer fluid from the ammonia based oem fluid to the blue stuff. at first, i attempted to syphon it out but the plastic tubing wouldn't go down so after a while trying to get it in there, i gave up. i then took mbtech advice and took off the front left wheel, and the covering right under the fluid tank. there are 3 bolts and 5 drywall-type screws w/ pins (expand as you push the pin in the center hole). i just used my fingernails to pull out the little pins and the screws were then easily removed. next, i located the grommet which is actually not mounted on the bottom of the tank. there is a little shelf/fold/scoop on the tank and the rubber insert in the grommet is mounted on the topside of the shelf. i then yanked it out (using elbow grease) and of course, the washer fluid immediately sprayed up onto the wiring! (i hope it doesn't hurt it). i had to hold my hand over it as it drained into the bucket. my rec would be to cover it up w/ a rag as you pull out the rubber insert. i then syphoned out the last bit (i bought the syphon and was determined to use it! :p ). i put the insert back in (more elbow grease) and poured the blue stuff in. ta dah! only took three hours (yes, i'm exaggerating a little. a little).

i then proceeded to change all the wheels w/ the snow tires/wheels (blizzaks lm22s on steelies) that i had gotten from tirerack. at this point, i would like to congratulate the mb engineers that designed the jack. it is a very nifty jack, works easily, is 1-piece, uses the right hand rule. slips very easily into the jacking locations. there was also a flat bracket/plate of some sort but didn't know what that was for. (i know, rtm ) and the blue box which i assume is the pump. used the lugbolts that came w/ the wheels. the wheel covers that i had gotten were left off as i broke one of the plastic tabs that hold it in place they were ugly anyway (sour grapes). note that these covers had an inner groove for the metal ring that keeps it on. i had to shift the ring to that groove otherwise the covers would just pop off very easily. also, the tires are directional. w/ an arrow on the tire that says 'rotation this way' or something like that.

hope that helps anyone trying to change the washer fluid and provide some more info on the tire/wheel changes.

Last edited by young; 01-06-2002 at 10:31 PM.