Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miss-matched Tires: A Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Miss-matched Tires: A Bad Idea?

The rear tires on my '06 C55 are going fast, just about to the wear markers, and I want to replace them but I want to put something on that will give it a bit more bite when launching. The front tires look almost new and what little wear they show is perfectly even so I would rather not take them off just to have matched tires all the way around. I actually like the stock Pirelli PZero Rossos up front too; turn-in is razor sharp and I have not yet had them understeer although I am sure they will. I have a real woody for the new Potenza RE-01R Extreme Performance summer tires from Bridgestone. That's saying a lot because I am a die hard Michelin fan. I can get the two RE-01R's in 255/35ZR18 size from TireRack delivered for a c-hair over $500. So is it a major "no-no" to run different, miss-matched tires like this? I've never done it before and tend to always do all for tires at the same time.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I wouldn't do it. For one thing you'll never know how good the new tires handle if they're only on two wheels. You might get more bite (although I've never had problems on take off with the C55 -- drive an S65 and you'll see what problems are) but different characteristics at the two axles could make for weird handling and, worse, braking problems. I'd also be concerned about wet handling with that configuration.

Chances are that stickier rears will increase understeer (which is certainly better than worrying about the opposite -- like spinning on hard braking), but I would wait until I need fronts too and change all four. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing.

But to get a more definitive answer, why don't you post the question of Luke in the Tire thread?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Dad - CL550, Me C350, Sista B8 A4
it is perfectly fine to have two different kinds of tires on each axle.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:34 AM

ML 350
Originally Posted by whoover
I wouldn't do it. For one thing you'll never know how good the new tires handle if they're only on two wheels. You might get more bite (although I've never had problems on take off with the C55 -- drive an S65 and you'll see what problems are) but different characteristics at the two axles could make for weird handling and, worse, braking problems. I'd also be concerned about wet handling with that configuration.

Chances are that stickier rears will increase understeer (which is certainly better than worrying about the opposite -- like spinning on hard braking), but I would wait until I need fronts too and change all four. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing.

But to get a more definitive answer, why don't you post the question of Luke in the Tire thread?
JUST AS LONG AS THE TWO NEW TIRES ARE ON THE SAME AXLE ,YOU WILL BE FINE
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
After 4 sets of tires in 70k miles I found the car is very sensitive to tires.

I buy only Michelin for the E500. Warning you are on you own if you buy other tires.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM

BENZ
ive been burning tires about every 2-3 months... gone through a full set of goodyear gs-d3, yokohama es100s, pirelli pzero neros, and my contis.... hahahah i have about 17k miles now... X_X... The gsd3 is the greatest by far...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by whoover
... You might get more bite (although I've never had problems on take off with the C55 -- drive an S65 and you'll see what problems are) but different characteristics at the two axles could make for weird handling and, worse, braking problems. I'd also be concerned about wet handling with that configuration....
Interesting point that increasing the rear traction might increase understeer. I haven't had any real understeer problems yet but I don't push it and I have been running the fronts a few pounds under spec too. But I do have major take off problems with my 55 and really need some additional bite. It will seriously vaporize the tires at anything above an off-idle launch, anything above 50% throttle in 1st gear anywhere in the RPM range, and anytime it shifts into 2nd at WOT. About the only time it's safe to go full throttle is half way through 2nd and then only with good, dry pavement. I drove an SL55 and found that it hooked up better than this C class. The thing is a hooligan by comparison.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 11-29-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Plus I am running about 20 extra hp/tq and 100 lbs. lighter than stock curb weight which is probably a big part of the traction problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
From my experience Bridgestone tires tend to be the loudest of the sport tires. I recommend nothing but Michelin tires to all my customers... take it for whats its worth. I have driven virtually every Mercedes model with almost every make of tire on it.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MBTECH2003
...I recommend nothing but Michelin tires to all my customers... take it for whats its worth...
Hard to argue with this; I tend to put Michelin tires on all my cars as soon as I can. But in this case it seems like these new softer compound RE-01Rs will give me noticeably more off-the-line bite than the Michelin PS2s (which I crave) but will be easier to live with as a daily driver (that will see some light Winter driving) than the Pilot Sport Cup comp tires. At least that's been my line of reasoning. H*ll, these PZero Rossos are basically hockey pucks when it's cold, I can't imagine anything worse when it's cold!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by BENZO1
JUST AS LONG AS THE TWO NEW TIRES ARE ON THE SAME AXLE ,YOU WILL BE FINE
+1. Don't mix tires on the same axle but okay to have different tires on different axles.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by jmf003
+1. Don't mix tires on the same axle but okay to have different tires on different axles.
That's a reasonable rule for a family sedan, but a bit of wishful thinking for a C55.

Here are some words from another forum on the topic:

Yeah, going with the same tires is probably your best bet. The effect of having different tires front and rear will vary depending on the car, and certainly can affect its handling characteristics. The tread pattern would matter a lot more in the rain than it does in the dry, so the balance between front and rear could change depending on what surface you're driving on. That's probably not a good thing. On dry pavement, the hardness of the tire would probably make more difference. They do vary somewhat.

That the tire sizes are different front and rear on this somewhat high-performance car does tell you that the designers gave it some thought. You shouldn't be changing the balance of the car by running different tires front and rear unless you have some good reason to do so. Anyway, from what I've heard of the G35, I think it's safe to say you are not improving things by putting tires with more grip at the rear.

( http://ask.metafilter.com/47158/Tire...front-and-rear )

These points are all relevant to a C55. I would still advise asking Luke, one thread below.