Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slid into a curb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK 350 Capri Blue/Black
Slid into a curb

We got our first snow of the year last night, and I slid into a curb with my C32. It hit the right front wheel only, so the damage should be limited there. I would estimate I was going about 10-12 MPH at the time of the accident.

The car wasn't steering correctly after that, the wheel is extremely light when driving, and it has a tendency to pull to the right.

The shop I took it to found a bent lower control arm, that they could see. They're replacing that first and then we're going to do an alignment.

My question is, how much is this going to set me back, and are there other parts that I should be concerned about? The wheel is scuffed, but it doesn't look too serious. The tire still holds air. I'm concerned about the camber arms and other internal suspension parts. What else could have been affected?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Tie rods connecting to the rack - if not bent the rack is probably fine.
The rack itself
Wheel bearings - the force to bend the control arm was transmited through these bearings
Upper mounting points - look for nuts that might have been moved out of place or any bent metal.

My wife once plowed the front right on a FWD car into a curb in a snow storm. I did all the work myself.

If you just replace any bent components and the alignment turns out OK then just go ahead and drive. If bearings start to go they can always be replaced later.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK 350 Capri Blue/Black
Thanks Jon, I can imagine it was a lot worse on a front-wheel drive car. The rear-drive setup is SO much simpler...

I just got it back from the shop, total was $580. They replaced the lower control arm and the pins, then gave it an alignment. Worked great, and a lot cheaper than I was expecting!

If anybody is looking for a good shop downtown Chicago, check out Lee's Foreign Car Service on Jefferson. They had Eddy Curry's Bentley there today, so obviously they have a good reputation.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Get some winter tires

Originally Posted by Al Bundy
Thanks Jon, I can imagine it was a lot worse on a front-wheel drive car. The rear-drive setup is SO much simpler...

I just got it back from the shop, total was $580. They replaced the lower control arm and the pins, then gave it an alignment. Worked great, and a lot cheaper than I was expecting!

If anybody is looking for a good shop downtown Chicago, check out Lee's Foreign Car Service on Jefferson. They had Eddy Curry's Bentley there today, so obviously they have a good reputation.
Summer tires and all seasons suck in cold/ice conditions. I use Hankook Icebears on my CL55 - if you can get them in your size you'll love them. Then set up you car for winter driving according to the owners manual. And take it deliberately.

Grane