Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK55 stumbling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk55
CLK55 stumbling

Have a 2001 CLK 55 with 27K on the odometer. It started to stumble upon acceleration from a stanstill and acts like it is being held back even with the throttle wide open. Just back from the dealer and $700 later still not running any better. New EGR valve installed and the dealership computer shows no faults. They told me to drive it some more! When cold the car hesitates so bad it is dangerous. Any thoughts much apprecaited. MB Houston NW claims they are stumped. Me too and short $700.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK430
Sounds to me almost like a MAF. I've driven a few with no codes that you can floor it from a standstill and the thing will barely move, after a second or two it will take off like normal. Its a possibility...
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The EGR SHOULD have been covered under the 7/70 Warranty (EMISSIONS)

The dealer should have done a better job on the trouble shooting...Go into VALUES with the Star and check the MAS air Sensor and the Crank sensor
Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Techron

Originally Posted by jblount
Have a 2001 CLK 55 with 27K on the odometer. It started to stumble upon acceleration from a stanstill and acts like it is being held back even with the throttle wide open. Just back from the dealer and $700 later still not running any better. New EGR valve installed and the dealership computer shows no faults. They told me to drive it some more! When cold the car hesitates so bad it is dangerous. Any thoughts much apprecaited. MB Houston NW claims they are stumped. Me too and short $700.
Try a big bottle of Techron on an empty tank. Immediately fill your tank with premium from a high traffic gas station that is on a hill, not a low lying area. I'm thinking water in the tank perhaps.

I do techron once a month esp. in the winter. Although I live in NH I spend much time in your area and recall many drainage problems. I also remember the black ice on the overpasses and seeing many slides!

Grane
Old 12-25-2007, 02:12 AM

'99 C230K, '97 E420 Sport
How long has it been doing it?

Does it change when engine goes from cold to operating temp?

Does it do it only from a standstill?

Has the weather changed or where you drive your car?

Has the car been sitting for an extended length of time during your possesion or others?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 AM

2001 C320
My C320 V6 does exactly the same and yes, it's at times VERY dangerous. I did some fault finding and studied this forum and it's probably the maf (mass airflow) that picked up some dirt (in my case) or stopped functioning. It seems this is a service part. Best is to replace it (or have it replaced). In South Africa, it's an expensive part, so I'll be cleaning mine first (I found a thread on this forum on cleaning tips, will find it and send along). Dunno if you guys can replace it fairly cheap.