Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Coolant level low" First malfunction ever...quick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
"Coolant level low" First malfunction ever...quick question

Like I said in the title, this is the first malfunction Ive seen on my menu screen in over 2 years of ownership. I only have 18,500 on the clock...is it normal to need to top off the coolant in this car at this mileage? Or could I have a leak etc.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's normal for a dealer to check coolant level at each service, so ... .
Old 01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by CY
Like I said in the title, this is the first malfunction Ive seen on my menu screen in over 2 years of ownership. I only have 18,500 on the clock...is it normal to need to top off the coolant in this car at this mileage? Or could I have a leak etc.
I don't think it would be normal. Never happened to me at least. But I guess it always could be that they filled it too low at the factory. I would check carefully for leaks anyway. Probably difficult to find when the leak isn't so big (if there is any).
Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I used to think that because the coolant is carried in a closed system there was no way for it to evaporate....wrong. It can, and does (but I don't know how/why). One scary place the coolant can go is into the transmission fluid through the cooler core which is in the radiator (major damage if that happens). Check for leaks and if you don't find any don't worry about it....top it up and keep an eye on it. I've had to add coolant fluid about 3 times in the 7 years I've had the car.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
If you say you have added coolant three times over 7 years, that would not make this normal. I assume you talk about the 01 car, that is 7 years since it was new.

It is a closed system, unless there is an issue. Coolant at the tranny is not from evaporation but from a leak and that is an issue.

In your case the "issue" probaly is something minor. You do not state how much you did add coolant though. It could be a minor leak at the cap seal or a pipe. Should not be the pump, it would leak more and more over time.

Of course it could also be that your car has a bit too small expansion reservoir, or perhaps you filled it up unnecessarily when it was cold (I assume that you did it when the light got up, that is when one really should add fluid).

Coolant, or water actually, would evaporate if the engine overheats. If you add too much coolant when the car is cold, it expands when it gets hot and if the reservoir has not enough space, then some of it comes out.

You probably have nothing to worry about but if you have to add anything significant amount of coolant per a few years, I would consider that an issue (not necessarily a big one at all).
Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Thanks for the help guys...I took it in to the dealer and they topped it off. It wasnt too low and they didnt even check for leaks. I guess they figured it was an error. Ill let you know if it happens agian