Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need DIY info.............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 04 Tahoe, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, Boeing 737
Need DIY info.............

97 E420, removal of ignition switch. I need to replace my switch, ign lock, and steering lock units. I can not seem to be able to find a link with pics to show how...........or even in written form. My key wont turn so the dealer suggested that I replace these units. In fact the tech in the parts dept. said something about having to "cut" the steering lock off or something like that. He said I would need to replace all three anyway after that just to replace the tumblers.... Ive already been on my back for a few hours trying to get this damn thing out...............HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
you REALLY want to try to get the key to turn. use pliers and twist and rock the key back and forth and the gently tap the back of the key(you may want to remove it from the fob) until it turns to position 1 (srs light on only) then use the special tool to depress the tab located through a hole at about 2:00 position between the silver tumbler and the black lock ring. a large paper clip might work. then spin the black steel lock ring 180deg or so and pull the tumbler tumbler and ring out together.
if the key you have orignially worked try the above. or you can order a coded key and tumbler from the dealer and try it. there should be no reason to replace all the tumblers in the car unless theft was involved.
if beating and twisting it does'nt work you are screwed. you wll have to try to beat out the pin that snaps out of the aluminum part of the steering lock into the steel part of the steering column bracket. it wont want to move because the key won't turn. and/or...break out the sawzall
Good luck. HTH
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM

I have tried until I am blue in the face to get this key to turn. My wife drove the car the past few days and said it locked up a few times but after repeated trys it finally worked. However she drove it home yesterday and now its locked up tight. The key will not turn!

Sounds like the sawzall thing is what the tech at the dealer was talking about. Man, I dont have one of those. I have the bottom of the dash exposed and have removed the bolts that hold the steering column tight. Just trying to get the power plug undone is impossible. I cant get it out of the plug at the ign lock. I can see that I am going to have to tow this thing in and pay over $500.00 to get it fixed.....................

To make things worse, my wifes Explorer has a failed transmission too. Thats why she is driving my E420. Waiting on the transmission to be shipped to me. Thats about $1,000 just for a used tranny installed. Now add this expense...........Happy New Year to me!

Jeff
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Sometimes you can get a lock to work if you put a little graphite in the cylinder. Then try again. Not much just a touch. You only need it to work 1 more time. Have patience,, If you use pliers use caution not to bend the key.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Here's a link with pics: http://www.startekinfo.com

At this link you can pay ~$25 and subscribe to Mercedes' WIS for a day and printout as many repair procedures for your car as you want. There are also dealer technical bulletins, accessory installation bulletins, recalls, everything. While you're there, you'll be able to access EPC (electronic parts catalog) too.

Anything you find elsewhere that's a copy of this is a copyright violation.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the input folks. Heres the skinny. I removed the old switch MINUS the steering lock mechanism attached to the steering column. Bought the new parts, $176.00. Brought them home with printed instructions given me by the MB tech. Thought I would be done in an hour, yea right. I read the instructions, again and again and again. Problem? Cant figure it out. In fact the car will be towed back to the dealership with these new parts in a bag so they can finish the job for me. I surrender!

Why you say? The technicality of this job is way over my head. Afterall it is part of a sophisticated anti-theft deterent system. The MB tech warned me that if I didnt do it right the first time I would need to buy these same parts again. (They have a lock-up protection built in.) In addition, I have since discovered, thru the printed instruction, that the steering lock mechanism needs to be removed and replaced also and its got to be cut-out of the steering column. The space to work in is no bigger than a breadbox. There is no short-cut to replacing this switch. Trust me, do not try this job unless your a true master tech or mechanic. I dont have the tools needed to remove/cut-out the steering lock and furthermore I dont want to make things worse by screwing something else up....................

This is one job that needs to be performed by the pros...........

Jeff
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by citruspilot
Thanks for the input folks. Heres the skinny. I removed the old switch MINUS the steering lock mechanism attached to the steering column. Bought the new parts, $176.00. Brought them home with printed instructions given me by the MB tech. Thought I would be done in an hour, yea right. I read the instructions, again and again and again. Problem? Cant figure it out. In fact the car will be towed back to the dealership with these new parts in a bag so they can finish the job for me. I surrender!

Why you say? The technicality of this job is way over my head. Afterall it is part of a sophisticated anti-theft deterent system. The MB tech warned me that if I didnt do it right the first time I would need to buy these same parts again. (They have a lock-up protection built in.) In addition, I have since discovered, thru the printed instruction, that the steering lock mechanism needs to be removed and replaced also and its got to be cut-out of the steering column. The space to work in is no bigger than a breadbox. There is no short-cut to replacing this switch. Trust me, do not try this job unless your a true master tech or mechanic. I dont have the tools needed to remove/cut-out the steering lock and furthermore I dont want to make things worse by screwing something else up....................

This is one job that needs to be performed by the pros...........

Jeff
Well, sorryto hear of your problems. However there is a bright side to this... now you will be permitted to work another 5 years so you can pay for all this!!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM

I know. But the idea of having to do this job for 5 more years is scary!!

Its not the job it was in the 70/80's. You've heard all the recent pilot news stuff, pilots falling asleep, fatigue, long hours, scheduling problems, etc..... They squeeze every minute of time they can out of us to be efficient. Its getting old if you ask me. I am 51 and its getting harder and harder to do this job as I get older. Living on the road just isnt what it used to be when I was a younger man. Short overnights and longer days with more flights. I would bet not all of the pilots go to 65. I believe that most of us will go earlier like 62 or 63..............at least I will.

Thats why I drive an older MB. Its paid for. No car payments. But some of the repairs like this one are making me rethink buying a newer one.........

Just another day in paradise............

Jeff

Last edited by citruspilot; 01-11-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by citruspilot
I know. But the idea of having to do this job for 5 more years is scary!!

Its not the job it was in the 70/80's. You've heard all the recent pilot news stuff, pilots falling asleep, fatigue, long hours, scheduling problems, etc..... They squeeze every minute of time they can out of us to be efficient. Its getting old if you ask me. I am 51 and its getting harder and harder to do this job as I get older. Living on the road just isnt what it used to be when I was a younger man. Short overnights and longer days with more flights. I would bet not all of the pilots go to 65. I believe that most of us will go earlier like 62 or 63..............at least I will.

Thats why I drive an older MB. Its paid for. No car payments. But some of the repairs like this one are making me rethink buying a newer one.........

Just another day in paradise............

Jeff
I understand,, I hold the commercial / multi/type ticket and gave up flying in the 70's. Same reasons.

No $$ for flying. Folks think it is a POC,, but don't realize the actual.