Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change virgin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change virgin

I have a 2003 C320 Coupe, the one with the service included in warrenty. That service plan expired for my car last year. The computer is now telling me it is time for service again. Either I pay big bucks for the dealer to do it, or I do it myself. I did service for my tractor recently so how different can it be to do one on a Mercedes? Well, the tractor came with full instructions, line by line, with pretty pictures to boot. Piece of cake. Mercedes operations book, not so helpful.
So I have a Mercedes oil filter and a small fortune in Mobil 1. Opened hood and jacked car up, and removed both undertray panels to see whats what. Just looking for confirmation I have identified the correct locations. The oil filter lives on top of the engine under cap marked tighten to 25NM. The oil drain plug is under the second undertray, on the rearward facing side of silver block, offcenter towards the drivers side. Does this sound about right? And I should be using a strap wrench to off and on the filter cap? And 25NM is about as hand tight as you can get it?
I like tinkering with things, like learning things, hate breaking things!!! Not too proud to ask for help.
Thanks for replies
Old 01-13-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The Bionic Virgin

25 Nm is about 18.5 ft-lbs. "Finger-tight" is usually about 1-2 ft-lbs. I suppose if your fingers are strong enough you can create that kind of torque, but if you don't want a messy leak and you don't want to strip an expensive housing, I'd invest in a torque wrench.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I do the oil service on my wifes '01 E320 myself. Not a bad job. You are on the right track with the locations of the filter and drain plug. I use an oil filter strap style tool to unscrew the plastic filter housing. Remember to replace the O rings on the center shaft where the filter slides on. Also coat the O rings in fresh oil before the re install. I usually tighten it with a torque wrench just to be safe. As for the drain plug, there is a copper/brass crush washer that you should also change. Should be in the filter kit that you bought. Use Mobil1 0w 40. Takes 9 qts. Lastly remember to reset the service reminder light. Look in the manual for how to.
Tip. Search on ebay or local parts stores for an oil evacuation tool where you can suck the oil out through the dipstick. Makes life grand!