Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! W210 AMG check engine light, idle problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz E55, 1998 Honda Civic EX
Question Help! W210 AMG check engine light, idle problems

My 2001 E55 has about 96k, has been running absolutely perfect until an hour ago. 20 min freeway drive home (yes, no racing and under the limit), and after coming off the freeway and driving a mile the engine light went on, not blinking. The car wasn't driving any differently, I drove the extra mile home and parked it. I waited 5 min, started the car up and the idle seemed not really rough but was struggling to keep it from dying back out. When I revved the engine it sounded just like usual, but when i took my foot off (in park) the idle would sputter a few times until it would die. I checked the gas cap and it was properly secure (unless its leaking). Please help me figure this out, my Mercedes mechanic is out of town until the 1st, so I am forced to let it sit.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Exclamation Seriously??

Seriously, no one on this forum has any idea? I'm leaning towards this being an o2 or other sensor. Suprised no one has any information, is there a better Mercedes or AMG forum I should be using?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Check for stored codes via a OBD2 reader or the Star and You will have the answer

sounds like a MAS air sensor and or the Crank sensor
Old 12-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1badE55
Seriously, no one on this forum has any idea? I'm leaning towards this being an o2 or other sensor. Suprised no one has any information, is there a better Mercedes or AMG forum I should be using?
if u have a check engine light you might wanna try scanning it before coming here and asking for advice,

its like saying, my tire is losing air, do i need to rotate..........?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the light came on because you are driving the car under the limit, it was just reminding you which engine is in your car.

Seriously though, without codes there is nothing anyone can do.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Wow...

Originally Posted by MBHustla858
if u have a check engine light you might wanna try scanning it before coming here and asking for advice,

To start, thanks Mark Cummins for your input. Exactly what I was looking for. Needed to know a basis so I could know if it was driveable to a shop or for me to tow it. THANK YOU, I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. As for the other post, you seem incredibly ignorant? Let's see, if I tried scanning it I would know the exact problem, therefore negating the need for advice. So no, its NOT AT ALL like my tire losing air. And I'm pretty sure in the post reply I narrowed my problem to an oxygen sensor so my question was not vague and I was right in asking why there was no response. This question was obviously meant for a Mercedes tech, not some kid who writes and spells as if he's a high schooler texting his friend. Period. Thanks for the 1st post Mark, it provided me with the info I needed on how next to handle the issue.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 AM

none
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Check for stored codes via a OBD2 reader or the Star and You will have the answer

sounds like a MAS air sensor and or the Crank sensor
what he said
Old 01-05-2008, 07:40 PM

ur right..... im not a benz tech or own any tools.....
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Seriously though, without codes there is nothing anyone can do.
care to retract that?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 AM

clk 230 kompressor
Originally Posted by 1badE55
My 2001 E55 has about 96k, has been running absolutely perfect until an hour ago. 20 min freeway drive home (yes, no racing and under the limit), and after coming off the freeway and driving a mile the engine light went on, not blinking. The car wasn't driving any differently, I drove the extra mile home and parked it. I waited 5 min, started the car up and the idle seemed not really rough but was struggling to keep it from dying back out. When I revved the engine it sounded just like usual, but when i took my foot off (in park) the idle would sputter a few times until it would die. I checked the gas cap and it was properly secure (unless its leaking). Please help me figure this out, my Mercedes mechanic is out of town until the 1st, so I am forced to let it sit.
hi, i think i may have a similar problem and although i have read all the posts on here i was wondering if anyone has more info...? i have a 98 clk 230 kompressor and when i drive off to work in the mornings the revs become uneven when i come to a stop at the traffic lights. this only keeps up for about 10mins or so until the engine warms up i guess... because later on the revs remain even at every stop. my first guess was the air sensor but other than that i have no idea... any suggestions? like... why does it only occur when the engine is cold...?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by MBHustla858

+1 anything else is a guess. But then it looks like th OP would prefer people to make guesses than give valid information....or.....the OP's too lazy to scan themself and would prefer to bother people on the forum with requests for guesses.