Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mbtech208 - vibration - shocks, bushings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
mbtech208 - vibration - shocks, bushings

I started an earlier thread re: vibration and have had some more work done this week to help solve the problem. The dealer tested the runout on my tires and said they would replace my tires. First they mounted new tires and rims from a E320 in stock. They told me the tires were even worse - out of round. Same problem with tires from a second new car. On top of that, my loaner was a 2002 E320 with 10 (ten) miles on it. Same vibration at 36mph and at various other higher speeds. The vibrations did not go away after warming up the tires.
Finally, they mounted brand new tires (Mich Energy MXV4 Plus). These were much better. I can feel a flat spot in the morning but it improves after 4 or 5 miles. Is this usual? There is, however, still a mild vibration in the frame, seats, at various speeds. Can this be a problem with the bushings in the shocks, suspension, differential, shafts? Here is a clip of a discussion forum from MB Owners Club re: same problem fixed with new bushings. You have to be a member so I have pasted 2 quotes.

QUOTES from MBCA.org
"Subject: RE: E320CDI vibration From: ed@meitner.com
Date: 25-Nov-2001
Hi John, I had a vibration at 80-90km/h on my 1997 E420. After much work ( all this was done under warranty) like changing motor mounts, steering rack, center support bearing, tires, ect. It turned out to be the upper rubber shock mounts ( changed front and rear) This completely eliminated any trace of vibration in my car. It also made the car feel as tight as new. Cheers, ED"

"Subject: E320CDI (UK) vibration: gone! From: cownley@aol.com
Date: 07-Dec-2001
To all who responded to this problem,especially those who recommended changing all the shocks and mounts: the problem has disappeared! A full set of new M-B factory-fit shocks and bushings...were fitted by the dealer, and there is now no trace of the vibration. The original focus was on wheels, tires, prop, engine mounts, all of which have been changed. You wouldn't think that shocks/bushings could be the problem, but I guess every wheel and tire has some degree of imbalance which the shocks and bushings are designed to isolate. If they are not in perfect condition, then this imbalance is transmitted to the whole car. After 33,000 miles...it feels like a different car. Thanks again to everyone who replied."

MBTech208 - what do you think? Sorry for the long post but this is one of the few successful fixes reported by happy owners who were as frustrated as I have been. I have been surfing forums for months now. Thank you for all you past and present assistance.
Best regards,
Nick

Last edited by DrNick; 01-12-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Nick how didd you get the 2002 E320 loaner!!! Where did you get it from and for how long? Hook me up!
Old 01-14-2002, 09:39 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Originally posted by AlBoston
Nick how didd you get the 2002 E320 loaner!!! Where did you get it from and for how long? Hook me up!
I like to think it is because I am so sexy looking but the guy after me wasn't and he got an MB loaner also. Chambers MB dealer in Somerville, MA gives "loaners" (actually rental coupons) at no charge through Thrifty office in their dealership. Service must be 3 or 4 hours duration. These cars are usually ML320s for MB customers but they also use Dodge Stratus. This month they just added some E320's. I got an E320 4Matic for three days. The service advisor to use is Enio, a real gentleman. He said that these vibration issues are a real challenge and he welcomes the opportunity to help solve owners problems!
Old 01-15-2002, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Hmm I went to the office next to Enio... Ill talk to Enio next time. Thanks! Also whats up with your car, its a vibration does it get faster as u speed up. Explain.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Al, Go to this thread I started when I began to try to solve this problem.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1223
A few members of MB Club of America (MBCA.org) have had success with shock bushing replacement as I have noted. Surprisingly, the member who stated that after about 30,000 miles his car was finally vibration free when the shock bushings were changed has posted an update regarding a recurrence! A quote from his post:
Having convinced myself and everyone else that the change of shocks and mounts cured the vibration (and I have had a perfectly smooth car for over a month, since they were changed) there was a 'noise' under the car yesterday and the vibration came back. It sounds like something has moved, or re-seated itself, and whatever it is had been inadvertently corrected when the shocks were replaced. At the time of the noise (which was a mild 'thump') I was travelling along a smooth highway at about 70mph. I am wondering if the springs are moving. Any thoughts from anyone?
The vibration is not in the steering, is mild but constant at 36-40mph and various other speeds, is felt in the seat frames, is confused often with road surface induced vibration but is most easily detected on the smoothest road surfaces. All of us with the problem agree on these symptoms. Like I said, I felt the exact same symptoms in the brand new E320 if drove. What a puzzle. If the bushings solved problem what could it be? I bet replacing the bushings again will result in a smooth ride at least for a while. Help! ...and thanks for your response.
Best regards,
Nick
Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

2010 E350 4 matic
w212 vibration on hard acceleration

I have a vibration / noise on hard acceleration on 2010 w212 350 4matic. Replaced transmission,torque conv. , driveshaft. Could this be a diff locator bushing? If so where is it.