Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Resetting CEL

I have searched and cannot find on how to reset the CEL lght on my '05 C230 after replacing the O2 sensors for a P0420 code. Can I just pull an ECU fuse or do I have to disconnect the battery?

Thanx in advance.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
Cool Try this:

I was once with my mechanic at the dealer and he showed me how to reset the codes, I actually saw him. He turned the key just before the car starts, then he turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, at least 2 times, kind of fast but not super fast, then he turned the key off and waited a few seconds. The lights went off.

I am not sure if this works everytime or if he did something else and I didn't see.
Hope that works

enrike
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
and...

I forgot this, some people here say you can disconnect the neg wire from the battery, about 5 minutes and that should reset the computer. Not sure cos' I'm just new here but try it.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Enrike
I was once with my mechanic at the dealer and he showed me how to reset the codes, I actually saw him. He turned the key just before the car starts, then he turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, at least 2 times, kind of fast but not super fast, then he turned the key off and waited a few seconds. The lights went off.

I am not sure if this works everytime or if he did something else and I didn't see.
Hope that works

enrike
You're confusing the reset required when battery is disconnected--necessary to turn off BAS/ABS light. Does not turn off CEL.

CEL lights will indeed disappear--when problem is fixed--by battery disconnection.

They will also disappear over time doing nothing, again if the problem is fixed.