Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping sound from RR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls500
popping sound from RR

newbie and need some input. i have a CSL500 and about 8 months ago, i 've noticed a popping noise/sound from the right rear( around the gas cap). only time i notice it is when the car is at a complete stop. took it to the dealer and they were unable to detect or get the car to repeat it. i'm thinking, it's the gas cap release.
issue # 2: on a hot day, the a/c fan seems to be very loud upon start up ( sounds like a helicopter taking off)
anyone else experiencing these problems? t.i.a. for your input.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
In regards to the popping sound from the rear, it is normal. It is your charcoal canister shut-off valve releasing pressure from the gas tank. Sometimes, if it is excessivly noisey, the noise can be calmed down a little by replacing it with a new one, but the noise will always be there.

In regards to the fan sounding like a helicopter, it is normal as well. Expecially on a hot day. If your a/c is set to max cold, your fan will again sound like a helicopter. You have an extreemly powerful fan, it moves a lot of air and is going to be loud when operating at 100%. You do however have a problem if the fan never calms down and sounds like a helicopter at all times.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls500
thank you. i'll have my service tech check it out.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLRICE
In regards to the popping sound from the rear, it is normal. It is your charcoal canister shut-off valve releasing pressure from the gas tank. Sometimes, if it is excessivly noisey, the noise can be calmed down a little by replacing it with a new one, but the noise will always be there.

In regards to the fan sounding like a helicopter, it is normal as well. Expecially on a hot day. If your a/c is set to max cold, your fan will again sound like a helicopter. You have an extreemly powerful fan, it moves a lot of air and is going to be loud when operating at 100%. You do however have a problem if the fan never calms down and sounds like a helicopter at all times.
They replaced my charcoal canister and that fixed the problem for me. Nice and quiet now.