Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with transmission service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
help with transmission service

Hello I bought a transmission kit for a 2003 e320 would like to change oil, filter and plug, is there anything i need to know before. anything to deactivate or disconnect? how many quarts should i put ?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by yoni111
Hello I bought a transmission kit for a 2003 e320 would like to change oil, filter and plug, is there anything i need to know before. anything to deactivate or disconnect? how many quarts should i put ?
I have done this on our e500 which uses the same 5 speed. You will have to remove the plastic shroud under the engine/transmission. This procedure will only change 1/2 the fluid in the transmission. I have used this method for many years since the 70's and never had a tranny failure. Granted pressure changing all the fluid is better. But changing the pan and filter will also work well.

1) I could not get the drain plug out. I think it is a 5MM hex. Mine was stuck so I just removed the pan.

2) I measured the oil removed from the pan. The transmission tool to measure the fluid is basically a dipstick. If you have the dipstick do this engine running BEFORE you drain. If not don't spill any fluid then measure precisely what you removed. Mine was exactly 4 qts.

Part # 140 589 15 21 00 Dipstick You can sometimes find this on ebay.

3) Look closely at the bolts that hold the clamps on the pan. There should be 6 if I remember correctly. The clamps can go on 2 ways. The right way and the wrong way. Look at my photo,, you will see the drain plug and clamps on the pan.

4) Use only MB fluid from the dealer Transmission Fluid FUCHS ATF 28 (A0019894603

5) Be sure to clean the magnet and reinstall it in the pan.

6) Look for the fill tube. It will be on the lower part of the bell housing under the plastic air cleaner. It will have a rectangular cover black with a little T button sticking up. The T is a lock on the cap. Press it down and this should remove the lock and allow it's removal.

7) Don't confuse the oil fill tube with the transmission fill tube.
The transmission tube will run to the transmission. There are 2 and the oil fill looks like it might be the tranny fill due to location. It is not the tranny if it has a round cap. The tranny has almost a rectulangar cap with the T button about 3/16" wide. The T might be red or black.

8) Refill with correct amount of fluid and measure to confirm with engine running.

Total job is about 1 1/2 hrs Let us know how it turned out.

Transmission Tube Cap and seal 140 270 00 91
Transmission Red Tamper seal A 140 991 00 55
Attached Thumbnails help with transmission service-transmission-drain-plug-looking-rear.jpg  
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM

e320
Thanks I will let u know when i get it done
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM

gl450 e320
On the fill tube the little T button broke off - how can I get the fill tube cap removed? I want to pump out the old transmission fluid an replace it using that procedure. E320 2003
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by tswash
On the fill tube the little T button broke off - how can I get the fill tube cap removed? I want to pump out the old transmission fluid an replace it using that procedure. E320 2003
I would STRONGLY advise against top sucking the transmission fluid out the dip stick.

You really want to drop the pan