Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C puking out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
A/C puking out

My wife has a 1998 E 320 and as it warmed up this spring I noticed that the A/C only works when you first start up the car. Occasionally you can get it to work for longer periods but when it quits blowing cool air you have to shut the motor off and then restart and usually it will blow cool for a while. The fan works fine in side the cab and the controls all seem to work fine. When it blows cool it seems to be very cool so I don't think it has a low charge. Could the compressor clutch be sticking?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Sounds low on freon. Put gauges on it take readings at start up and then running. My guess is low freon.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 PM

E320
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Sounds low on freon. Put gauges on it take readings at start up and then running. My guess is low freon.
Thanks, is R 134-A compatible with these systems?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 PM

E320
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Well I tried it and the gauge is at 45 and according to the filler kit that is on the high side of full. So when you start up the car the compressor starts right up with no noise or apparent problem. The vents discharge plenty of cold air almost immediately and then for some reason the compressor quits the pressure on the gauge jumps way up and the cold air turns to warm. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM

E320
For what it is worth I noticed a couple of other things. If you shut off the car remove the key and restart the car the compressor comes on immediately. The twin A/C fans come on as well. At first they come on at high rpm and soon afterward they slow down a bit until the compressor quits and then they shut off as soon as the compressor quits. Should they run a while to until the coil is cooled down or is it normal to shut down with the compressor?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 PM

E320
bump