Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S65 differential question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65
S65 differential question

i own a 07' S65

i appreciate every part of the car but the gear ratio.

i tried searching for after market diff's but there were none available

for the car. so.. i searched mbusa.com: S65's final drive ratio is 2.65:1

and SLR's is 3.06:1 if i'm correct. i'd like to know if SLR's diff. is compatible

to S65 and has LSD like the 65amg's. please help!!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Jay Jeon
i own a 07' S65

i appreciate every part of the car but the gear ratio.

i tried searching for after market diff's but there were none available

for the car. so.. i searched mbusa.com: S65's final drive ratio is 2.65:1

and SLR's is 3.06:1 if i'm correct. i'd like to know if SLR's diff. is compatible

to S65 and has LSD like the 65amg's. please help!!
There are a few misconceptions here.
1) The S65 doesn't have a LSD. The SL65 has one standard, but it's not available on any other 65 model in the US and it's not standard on the S65 anywhere.
2) The differential doesn't affect final drive ratio. The ring and pinion do, and the ring gear is bolted to the differential, but when you change a diff (as when you retrofit a LSD) you retain your ring and pinion. If you want to change final drive ratio you need a new ring and pinion, regardless of the type of differential you have or change to.
3) The electronics of today's cars will not allow you to change final drive ratio anyway. The ECU, TCU, ESP, ABS, BAS, etc. all monitor speed and engine RPM and will at a minimum throw codes if they detect unexpected values. If the ratio changes much, they will lock the transmission into second gear. A ring and pinion change has to be matched with some very sophisticated reprogramming.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65
Originally Posted by whoover
There are a few misconceptions here.
1) The S65 doesn't have a LSD. The SL65 has one standard, but it's not available on any other 65 model in the US and it's not standard on the S65 anywhere.
2) The differential doesn't affect final drive ratio. The ring and pinion do, and the ring gear is bolted to the differential, but when you change a diff (as when you retrofit a LSD) you retain your ring and pinion. If you want to change final drive ratio you need a new ring and pinion, regardless of the type of differential you have or change to.
3) The electronics of today's cars will not allow you to change final drive ratio anyway. The ECU, TCU, ESP, ABS, BAS, etc. all monitor speed and engine RPM and will at a minimum throw codes if they detect unexpected values. If the ratio changes much, they will lock the transmission into second gear. A ring and pinion change has to be matched with some very sophisticated reprogramming.
thank you for your details

so the answer is to stay stock.. ㅠㅠ