Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! BlueTooth Frustrations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 07:21 PM

2012 E350 Cabriolet
Angry HELP! BlueTooth Frustrations

Just picked up my '08 CLK550 Cabriolet this past weekend, and had the BlueTooth module installed.

First off, now that the bluetooth "brick" is in the center console compartment, the sliding cover clicks/sticks as I open/close it - it's apparently dragging across the wiring or whatever else is behind the panel that the "brick" sits on. I don't know if they just did a poor job installing the thing, or if that just happens because there isn't enough room behind that panel for both the bluetooth module wiring and for the cover to slide without obstruction. In any case, it's extremely annoying. I need to bring the car back in to the dealer to address this, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, will I just have to live with it?

Second - and I acknowledge this may be a problem with my phone, but my testing leads me to believe it isn't - has anyone had their Bluetooth signal on their phone simply terminate for no reason after a random period of time (10-15 minutes, give or take), after staring the car and having a successful pairing? I'm not talking about un-pairing, but rather the Bluetooth "mode" on the phone just shutting down completely. I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 through Verizon, which I'm told is "issue free" with MB Bluetooth, and it's updated with the latest software. Yet when I get into the car, the phone pairs up fine, the phonebook downloads, and then a few minutes later the display will say "Phone Turned Off". I look at my BlackBerry and the Bluetooth mode has simply turned off altogether, and I have to go in and actually turn it back on, at which time the phone immediately pairs up with the car again. If I don't do anything, the Bluetooth will shut off again after a while and this continues. However, if I make a call, even a long one, it stays connected, and I've found that if I make a call, even just once, it seems to stay connected longer.

Again, I realize this may be a problem with my phone, and I'm investigating that, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this behaviour.

Thanks in advance for any comments/help.
Old 07-11-2008 | 01:58 AM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
In reference to the sliding panel binding, sounds like poor installation.

As for the bluetooth "shutting off". Are you turning the bluetooth back on in your phone or on the head unit? If you are having to turn it back on via the phone, it's probably a phone issue. Try pairing another phone to your car and if the problem persists than it's not your phone and vise versa.
Old 07-12-2008 | 10:10 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLRICE
In reference to the sliding panel binding, sounds like poor installation.

As for the bluetooth "shutting off". Are you turning the bluetooth back on in your phone or on the head unit? If you are having to turn it back on via the phone, it's probably a phone issue. Try pairing another phone to your car and if the problem persists than it's not your phone and vise versa.
yep, the cover slides directly behind where the wiring sits for the cradle. Im guessing that this was not just the bluetooth puck but they had to install the cradle and support electronics. There is a clip that i supposed to go in behind the panel where the puck sits that is probabaly missing (it comes loose sometimes). The solution is to have the dealer pull the panel open and secure the wires to the back of the panel with some felt tape.

I havent heard of issues specifically with the pearl but i have seen that particular issue before in other smartphones.. Its is a bug to be sure and the phone is resetting the BT chipset to the off state. Fixing it may be another issue althogether. Often we see clients switch phones because of the connectivity problems.
Old 07-12-2008 | 04:17 PM

2012 E350 Cabriolet
So a couple updates...

I did drive my car back by the dealer and showed/demonstrated the sticking cover and my service advisor agreed that it was a problem. Unfortunately, I didn't have the ability to leave my car there at that time to have it remedied, but I will bring it back next week so they can fix it.

Also, I did some additional research online, and it turns out it's a very common problem for bluetooth connections on phones to be completely shut down even after a successful pairing. Strangely enough, it can be solved by enabling the flashing blue LED on your phone (at least, this is true for the Pearl and other BlackBerry phones). I had always set that blue LED to off because I was told it's just another way to preserve battery power, but for some strange reason, it also controls the behavior of the bluetooth on the phone. I've turned the LED back, and since then, no bluetooth shutdowns, and everything works as it should. By the way, from some of the posts I read on this subject, this happens with any paired bluetooth device, not just MB's car system. Needless to say, I find it extremely frustrating that BlackBerry tech support didn't have this listed as a known problem.

So pass it along