Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C280 Jacking up rear of the car / fuel leak problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
C280 Jacking up rear of the car / fuel leak problem

So driving home (1998 C280) I turn a corner and go over a bump in the road, no big deal right, I think the same. At the next stop I smell gas, I pull over at a safe place and I am leaking gas (right under the rear passenger seat)! I'm close to home so I drive home and look underneath.

Above a black plastic rock guard, I see the fuel leaking out of either - what looks like a fuel filter (silver canister) or the black hose (u shaped) that connects to the filter (the fix might be as easy as tightening the hose clap).

Either way I need to lift the car and do a full inspection and repair (I have a three ton jack, I don't want to use MBs jack and the side jack mounts). What is the best way to lift rear of the car with a 3 ton jack?

If the silver canister is the fuel filter do you recommend changing it (I would think yes, since I'm not sure when it was last changed)?

Also, anything to to look out for? or does this sound like a simple hose/filter repair?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
is there anybody out there?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
jack pads

Originally Posted by C280Sportster
is there anybody out there?
do one side at a time.there should be four hard rubber jack pads.one each side forward of the rear wheels.and one each side aft of the front wheels.in your situation i would set the parking brake firmly,use your factory jack to raise the car and then use jackstands placed under the jack pads.dont go under the car using your hydraulic or factory jack to support the car.you have to support the weight of the vehicle with jackstands or some form of stable blocking.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Personally, I'd drive one side of the car up on a curb and scoot under.

And, frankly, if you can't identify a fuel filter, you're not going to be able to fix any of this correctly. Understand, too, that zip/zero/nada parts for this are available from the likes of Pep Boys.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124