Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 MB CLK55
Power seat failure?

Anybody share any tips/ideas/just share my pain?

MY01 CLK55, driver's side seat has decided that it doesn't want to move forward or back any more.
I can adjust the seat back, the thigh bolster (front of seat goes up & down just fine), but can't raise/lower the back of the seat and can't get the seat to move forward or back.

First thought was electrical, but relays are clicking each time I try to move the seat. Then thought something might be trapped in the tracks, but there is NO movement. I can see the shaft that (is supposed to) turn when the switch is engaged, but there isn't even a tick or shudder.

The fuse box under the hood shows three fuses associated with driver seat adjustment. The one in this box is good, I haven't pulled the two in the trunk fuse box (assuming a blown fuse would = no relay clicking). Maybe a bad assumption? Could the motor(s) have an fuse independent of the relay?

Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2002, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Could be the relays even though you hear a click. With an 01 you should be under warranty so why not just take it to your dealer
Old 12-23-2002, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 MB CLK55
Problem solved.....

Finally emptied the trunk full of Christmas presents & did what I shoulda done in the first place.....

There are two fuses per front seat in the trunk. One of those (#7, 25A) was blown. Replaced fuse, all is well.

Sosh - didn't jump at the idea of running it back to the dealer since the extended warranty doesn't cover a lot of the little stuff (and at 63K miles I'm past the basic warranty).