Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension leveling problem..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL 55 AMG
suspension leveling problem..

I have a 2003 SL55, and i have found that the driver side rear suspension is higher than the other three, about 1/4"higher. but it will be back to normal once the car's moving. i brought it in the dealership and they said it's because the suspension fulid pumper is leaking (located in the trunk), and it costs 3K for jsut the pump, and later on my dad (who owns a shop) have found out that it's leaking because one of the clamps were clamping properly.
but even with that fixed, the unleveling problem still remains. can anyone at lease tell me what might possibally causig this issue? i want to get it fix b4 lowering the car.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK430
There is no suspension fluid pumper in the trunk... the only pump located there is for the roof. Does incorrect level only happen when the car is sitting and off? There is a calibration for SBC systems, but it will cost you some money, as it requires a dealer to do it with an SDS and a angle sensor, as well as a flat surface.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by loglop
I have a 2003 SL55, and i have found that the driver side rear suspension is higher than the other three, about 1/4"higher. but it will be back to normal once the car's moving. i brought it in the dealership and they said it's because the suspension fulid pumper is leaking (located in the trunk), and it costs 3K for jsut the pump, and later on my dad (who owns a shop) have found out that it's leaking because one of the clamps were clamping properly.
but even with that fixed, the unleveling problem still remains. can anyone at lease tell me what might possibally causig this issue? i want to get it fix b4 lowering the car.
Your dealer doesn't sound like they have a clue, so you may want to consider another dealer. The most common ABC problem that causes level problems is a bad valve block. The usual repair is to replace the bad block, flush the fluid, replace the filter screen if you have the old kind and run the rodeo program to reseat all valves. But I wouldn't trust a dealer who doesn't know where the ABC pump is to do any of this.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
Definitely a ABC problem caused by contaminants in the fluid filter and 10 quarts of Pentosin would probably help however later models have program in the control module that cycles the valves. I suspect the left front valve could be faulty but the flush/rodeo program would not hurt