Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some 190E trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 190E 2.3
Some 190E trouble

I picked up an 86 190E 2.3 and i'm having a bit of trouble, the odometer is making a loud clicking noise that's driving me nuts that just started happening tonight. It stops when i depress the button. I think some internal component is out of place or something, any ideas?

Also I was getting blow-by and the first place I took it to said a whole new engine, the 2nd opinion place put a new distributer cap on it and it's working O.K now, but there's still the issue of the blowby and it's easier to start, but still takes more effort than should be needed at times. I'm wondering if that's because of oil gunking the spark plugs or if it really just needs a whole new engine/rebuild.

The 2nd place said that it needed a PCV valve but from what others tell me there isn't a PCV valve in an 86 190E. Anythign else that could be relevant to back pressure or blow-by causing/prevention i should be aware of, that they may be referring to?

Thanks for any help,
Gregory.