Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove the glove box door W208?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
How to remove the glove box door W208?

Hi, I hope someone can help to eliminate this very annoying rattling noise, possibly a loose screw, from the glove box door of a CLK55 W208. It's defnitely from the little door, as I can tap on the door and reproduce the rattle at will.

If only I can remove the door from its hinges, I can most likely either glue the darn screw in or remove it altogether.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
The door and glove box remove as a single unit. There is a couple of screws inside the glove box on the top and bottom. You have to remove the oval shaped covers to see the screws on the bottom surface.
If the door is rattling, you can adjust the part of the latch on the top inside of the glove box to make the door close tighter. Loosen the two screws holding the latch and slide it forward to tighten the door.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM

2012 C63
Thanks Velvet Fog, I'll give it a shot this weekend. I'm certain that it's something that is actually in the door part so removing the unit will be the only way to get ride of the loose bit. I don't think the door latches are the issue.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2008, 03:53 AM

2012 C63
I managed to remove the glovebox with the instructions from Velvet Fog. However, I couldn't fiind a way to actually extract the screw that was floating in the door panel. So, instead of extracting, I decided to seal it in for good by squeezing a couple of drops of super glue when I got the screw to drop to one corner. It worked a treat!

There are a couple of other little rattles around the place. I haven't quite figured out the source of those yet.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:04 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Here's an old thread whre I described fixing a couple of other rattles in my clk

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...le-killer.html
Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 AM

2012 C63
Hi Velvet Fog, thanks for the tips again. Like you and many others, I just hate rattles. It's a bit hard to me to figure out where some of the rattles are as my wife won't drive the beast for me to work out the source of the rattles or squeaks.

Incidentally, I have one that's slowly getting to me. It's a rattle as such but rather a high pitch squeak. I think it's coming from the dash area. The suspension on the CLK55 is set up so tight that with any bumps on the road, the high pitch noise will occur. I have no idea how I'm going to work out where this one comes from. Rattle Killer, if you know a way or tips on this, it will be much, much appreciated.