Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking oil with the dipstick, should this be done when the engine is hot or cold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
Checking oil with the dipstick, should this be done when the engine is hot or cold?

Happy New Year everyone! And may 09 bring an end to the GFC and bring back brighter days ahead

Now, onto cars... I'm a little confused with when best to check the engine oil with the traditional dipstick. Should it be done when the engine is warmed up or been sitting overnight?

Another thing, with the onboard computer, yesterday I checked the oil level after I've been driving around for most of yesterday afternoon and it showed "too high, reduce oil" or some wordings to that effect. This morning, I checked prior to starting the engine and it shows all ok.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If the car has been stopped engine off for about 10 minutes you are ok to check. warm or cold makes little difference

When the GFC recovery is complete I will consider a new MB.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM

08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
Wink

Originally Posted by joeljp
Happy New Year everyone! And may 09 bring an end to the GFC and bring back brighter days ahead

Now, onto cars... I'm a little confused with when best to check the engine oil with the traditional dipstick. Should it be done when the engine is warmed up or been sitting overnight?

Another thing, with the onboard computer, yesterday I checked the oil level after I've been driving around for most of yesterday afternoon and it showed "too high, reduce oil" or some wordings to that effect. This morning, I checked prior to starting the engine and it shows all ok.

Any thoughts?
Take serious look at your manual. It says check the eng oil AT OPERATING TEMP, means after running at least 20 min. That's when you got the message, it's too much oil.
Over night, the oil contracted and the leval would be at the "OK" (full ? ) level. After getting hot, the oil expands and would be too much. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 AM

2012 C63
Thanks for the replies. I rang the local dealer today and asked the same question. They said I have to check when it's been running for about 15-20 mins. Anyway, they suggested that I take the car in and they'll sort it out for me. I did just that and for a nice change, they didn't charge me anything to remove the excess black gold, Texas tea. It must be the generous Christmas spirit! Now when I measure it, it shows ok both cold and warm. The car now runs so much better too and I can sleep better.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 PM

C300
I have a c300 2011 which has a vertically mounted oil filter. The oil capacity is 8 liters. Change the oil and added 8 liters. The oil dip stick indicated I was overfilled when the car had been sitting for an extended time period but was fine if checked right after driving the car. Here is the skinny after a 15 minute discussion with my local MB service manager. The oil should be checked after the car has been running. With a vertically mounted oil filter the oil in the filter will completely drain back in the oil pan. The dip stick measurement is based on the oil distributed in the engine and oil filter. Everywhere I have read says to check when car is cold including Mobile one. Hope this helps.