Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight aiming adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight aiming adjustment

Picked up a 230 coupe tonight. Everything is wonderful, except the low beam lights seem to be aimed too low. In the manual, it makes reference to checking the alignment after changing bulbs, but I couldn't find instructions for doing that. So, the questions are:
1. Are the headlight alignment specs something I can easily check myself.
2. How can the low beam height be adjusted?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2002, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If they are like the E Class they should be adjustable. When I took del of my 01 E320 4Matic the low beams were terrible and I was driving out of them even at 30 to 40 mph. Dealer re adjusted them slightly up and this made all the difference in the world. I was told that MB's factory spec for the headlight aiming puts them too low for most people as MB feels that they will be less intrusive to oncoming traffic. Since the readjustment I have not been flashed at once. I have also discovered that using the fog lights and the low beams helps considerably putting a broad beam of light close to the front of the car.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Coupe
I too found the headlight adjustment low when I took delivery, both low and high beam. I had the dealer adjust them higher when the car was in for the EIS replacement. Service Manager agreed that they were adjusted low. They are much better now.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for confirmation that it is a not uncommon problem. The dealer is a little over an hour away, so my prefernece is to do it myself if that is possible. I've aimed lots of headlights in 35+years of driving, I just dont know where the adjustments are for these lights. Anyone know?