Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W203 320 Engine dying?? HELP...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
W203 320 Engine dying?? HELP...

Can anyone offer any ideas on the following?

Just had a major service including all filters, new plugs, fully synthetic oil etc etc. Not to mention new brakes all round at the same time!

At first everything was terrific, car had a new lease of life fired into it with improved throttle response and smoother running, great!

Now however the engine appears to have developed a problem in that it now randomly loses all power, no response to throttle at all and then cuts out all together. This is usually accompanied by a 'battery/alternator - visit workshop' warning on the dash. Aaaaah!!!

But when I turn off the ignition and start again there are no faults stored and the car starts perfectly normally. Then after a few minutes the whole thing happens again!!!

Can anyone PLEASE help- I'm hoping there may be a cable I can check for looseness or something of that nature....
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 PM

1991 420 SEL
hey!! The first thing I would check for is for one or more loose connectors along with checking wire routing, ensuring no wires are shorting on eachother or grounding out. Again, thats where I would start.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 PM

ML500 AMG pkg
Sounds like the air cleaner housing is not installed properly on the air mass sensor causing temp fluctuations and turbulance. Sometimes the seal is rolled or cut from tech's being to aggressive installing the air box back on the engine.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM

C320
Forgot about this thread!

If anyone suffers the above symptoms following a fuel filter replacement check for fuel rail blockage. This was the source of my woes and I've since been told that because its such a common problem and that the fuel filter is very hard to see that MB don't bother to change them.

Surprising how a bit of crud manifests itself - that's the contamination rather than MB servicing (or is it!!!)