Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need measurements using Shop Dipstick for C-Class replacement dipstick, please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Need measurements using Shop Dipstick for C-Class replacement dipstick, please

Call to anyone with the MB Shop Dipstick and access to a C240 or C320 (W203)… mbtech208, or other tech, please...

We need to get a measurement with the shop dipstick on the V6 motor (assuming the C240 and C320 share the same dipstick tubes). With the shop dipstick fully inserted into the V6 motor until it hits the bottom of the oil pan, we need to know the total length of the dipstick, from bottom of sump to the top of the dipstick tube where the shop dipstick exits, in inches or millimeters, to 1/16 inch or better accuracy. We also need the width of the shop dipstick blade.

Dave (mbtech208) has already told us the proper oil level range for the M112 motor is 148mm-168mm, when measured from sump bottom using the shop dipstick.

The procedure for making a regular, permanent, dipstick is then simple. Buy a generic dipstick, measure and cut it to the length measured in the second paragraph. Next, mark off the oil level range (148mm-to-168mm) from the cut end of the stick. Finally, cut an additional inch from the stick bottom to ensure it no longer bottoms in the oil pan.

I have tried other methods of getting this measurement using braided steel cable, but I’m getting a range of 23 inches to 29 inches, which obviously is not accurate enough (the cable must be glancing off the sump and bending).

Several of us want to make proper, full-time dipsticks for our V6 W203s. And we need this measurement to make this happen.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
If I remember, and if I get a free moment, I'll get those measurements for you tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Okay, here you go. Keep in mind this might be off a couple millimeters, but it should be pretty damn close. The length of the dipstick from the bottom of the sump to the top of the dipstick tube is 735 mm. The width of the dipstick is 5 mm, that is certain.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Wonderful, Dave. Thank you so much!!!

OK, I think this topic is pretty well covered. So, to make a custom dipstick that you can leave in the dipstick tube, this is what I think the procedure is...

1. Buy a generic 5mm wide blade-type dipstick, at least 30" long (Pep Boys, Autozone? Any suggestions as to where?)
2. Measure from the "stopper" end of generic stick and make a mark at the 735mm point...
3. From the 735mm point, measure back up the stick to the 148mm and 168mm points, and permanently (somehow) mark the stick at these two points.
4a. For a Permanent, in tube, dipstick, cut the stick to finished length... I'd suggest cutting it at the 725mm mark, so that it doesn't rest on the sump bottom. or...
4b. If you wanted the stick for occassional use (a "shop stick" not permanently in the tube), you could cut it to any finished length of 735mm or longer, provided you calibrate the 148-168mm range from the finished end of the cut.

For those who want to see the MB "Shop Dipstick" here's the link to a thread on this...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=shop+dipstick

BTW, I have tried making a "shop" stick from 3/16" braided (and plastic-coaded) steel cable from top to bottom, but the cable is not rigid enough to guarantee it bottoms out on the sump at the same length repeatedly. A generic stick that is braided cable at the top with a metal blade at the business end would be excellent for this application, because the dipstick tube really bends at some extreme angles (take a look, you'll see).

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-23-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by mbtech208
Okay, here you go. Keep in mind this might be off a couple millimeters, but it should be pretty damn close. The length of the dipstick from the bottom of the sump to the top of the dipstick tube is 735 mm. The width of the dipstick is 5 mm, that is certain.

Thanx mbtech208. This will help a lot especially with your earlier comment that at the 168 mm level the cars FSS might state an overfull condition.

Any chance on you providing us 03 W203 owners with the updated dyno mode. The pre 03 dyno mode doesn't work for us.