Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old synthetic oil in my engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
Now lookup how many times Amsoil has been sued for NOT meeting its claims....

Either way, you loose.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 PM

clk320
Exclamation

Im reading this because my car is due for an oil change. The only Mobil 1 oil that is MB229.5 spec oil is the 0w-40. This is the only Mobil 1 oil I put in my car that meets this specification!

Check this site out. It is very useful

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

As far as the FSS is concerned...i know i have an older car. But i dont seem to recall the FSS telling me to change my oil after 1 year. My car only has 54,000 miles and I only drive it 5,000 miles a year.

But the reason I change the oil annually is NOT because of the FSS and NOT because i feel the oil will breakdown. It is because I feel the oil filter will breakdown. Why? I brought my car to my local Mercedes repair shop and my mechanic tells me that the oil filter sitting for that long is not good. How do i know? he showed me! he took the old oil filter and with his two fingers...he easily tore off one of the sections of the old filter...kinda like a "very soggy paper towel". So I tried it...sure enough..easy to tear off a piece myself as well! Please not that this particular oil change was after 2 years and 10,000 miles. Its hard for me to tell this story because this mechanic has retired and for over 20 years has taken cared off my previous BMW and this current Mercedes.

PERSONAL CONCLUSION: Change oil and filter yearly. Only use oil that specifies MB229.5 spec oil. Another helpful tip: If you are in the hunt for an independent Mercedes repair shop...ask them what oil they use....If they say Mobil 1 10w-30, say "Goodbye!". If they cant do a simple oil change correctly..what makes u think they can touch anything else on my car!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 PM

1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
Agree with the filter assesment, the oil assesment is BS.