Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 380 SE Shuts off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 380 SE
1984 380 SE Shuts off

Hey guys, I have a 1984 380 SE and it has been running fine until a few weeks ago it suddenly died on me. The problem has been getting worse and worse and I can hardly go 5 miles without it dieing now. It only dies when in low speeds and when I have my foot off the gas (it will not die when foot is on the gas). It also hasnt ever turned off at a stop light, just when the car is in motion and im not applying gas. On the freeway even with my foot off the gas (going high speeds) it doesnt have the problem, just in low speeds. My oil pressure goes up and down from 3 to almost 0 when in the low speeds (with foot off the gas) and when it gets to 0 it will die. If it bounces down to almost zero I will pump the gas and it will go back up to 2-3 and be fine for a couple of seconds and at times my fuel gauge acts somewhat irraticaly. Its so strange and I have no clue whats going on with it, help!

Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 380 SE
Oh one more thing, I just bought the car about 1 1/2 months ago and had put about 150 miles on the car before I brought it in to get the oil changed at jiffy lube and directly after the oil change it shut off when I almost got home (about 5 miles away), and this was the first shut off. So could it be bad oil or something? Or could the Jiffy Lube guys have done something? I didnt put synthetic in it either. I dont know a whole lot about cars, just a little! So sorry if I sound like a total newbie!