Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should this have passed CPO? $ or Free

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
Should this have passed CPO? $ or Free

Please help me out with this as it will either cost me a ton of $ or nothing.

I took delivery of a CPO G55. It has several issues which I am curious should have made it fail CPO. If you could note which items would have passed/failed via PASS/FAIL, then that would help me negotiate with the two dealers involved on whether I have to pay out of pocket to get these issues addressed.

They are:
PASSENGER REAR WINDOW – The window goes down, but not up.

DRIVER FRONT WINDOW – The tracking of the window “hops” about 3” from the top indicating a tracking issue.
The passenger front window has a slight hop similar to the driver side one. The driver rear window should be inspected as well.

REAR WIPER – Does not work at all.

FRONT WIPERS– The wipers are split and peeling.

WIPER FLUID – Almost no fluid on delivery. Empty within the first few hundred miles of driving with normal use. Obviously, this is not much of an issue at all, but added here simply as a point of illustration how the usual MB standards of excellence were not applied in this case.

EXTERIOR PAINT CHIPS AND DENTS– There are several chips in the paint (rear bumper, roof, etc.) and dents (roof and hood).

COMMAND MALFUNCTION – The dash Command interface displays a “1 MALFUNCTION” when the car is turned off. It appears to be related to the SOS Tele Aid functionality.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Please help me out with this as it will either cost me a ton of $ or nothing.

I took delivery of a CPO G55. It has several issues which I am curious should have made it fail CPO. If you could note which items would have passed/failed via PASS/FAIL, then that would help me negotiate with the two dealers involved on whether I have to pay out of pocket to get these issues addressed.

They are:
PASSENGER REAR WINDOW – The window goes down, but not up.

DRIVER FRONT WINDOW – The tracking of the window “hops” about 3” from the top indicating a tracking issue.
The passenger front window has a slight hop similar to the driver side one. The driver rear window should be inspected as well.

G window regulators suck, and is covered under CPO have them fix them

REAR WIPER – Does not work at all.

Dealer should take of this, should have worked when you bought it

FRONT WIPERS– The wipers are split and peeling.

You and try and ask for new ones

WIPER FLUID – Almost no fluid on delivery. Empty within the first few hundred miles of driving with normal use. Obviously, this is not much of an issue at all, but added here simply as a point of illustration how the usual MB standards of excellence were not applied in this case.

Dealer was just lazy

EXTERIOR PAINT CHIPS AND DENTS– There are several chips in the paint (rear bumper, roof, etc.) and dents (roof and hood).

Small chips and dents pass, but if they are large then it would fail. You can try and get the deal to pay for repairs, but I don't know.

COMMAND MALFUNCTION – The dash Command interface displays a “1 MALFUNCTION” when the car is turned off. It appears to be related to the SOS Tele Aid functionality.

says malfunction because Tele Aid is not activated, if you want it to go away you need to activate it
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Gullwing
....says malfunction because Tele Aid is not activated, if you want it to go away you need to activate it...
Tell the dealer to make the message go away without activating it, they can do it. Also, I'm pretty sure depending on the year of the vehicle, you might not be able to activate it without spending big $ because they went from analog to digital Tele Aid.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Pretty much ALL of the things you mentioned should have been fixed in order to sell as a CPO. Your dealer is a scum bag, just like most of them.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Tell the dealer to make the message go away without activating it, they can do it. Also, I'm pretty sure depending on the year of the vehicle, you might not be able to activate it without spending big $ because they went from analog to digital Tele Aid.
This is true, if you have an analog teleaid system you cannot use it without replacing it for $$$$. The dealer can remove the error. Some will refuse to saying that it is a legal liability because you or a future owner might think teleaid is working properly. Obviously this is the usual line of crap from a dealer.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 Audi S4
Thanks, all for the replies. I swapped out my car after 2 weeks for its twin, sans the body repairs. I've got 2.5 left on the new car warranty, and another year CPO. Hope I don't have to test the warranty again! But I've learned to be a little less trusting next time.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by efan4ever
But I've learned to be a little less trusting next time.
Unfortunately in todays world a little less trusting might be a good thing.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by efan4ever
Thanks, all for the replies. I swapped out my car after 2 weeks for its twin, sans the body repairs. I've got 2.5 left on the new car warranty, and another year CPO. Hope I don't have to test the warranty again! But I've learned to be a little less trusting next time.

Uhhh....FYI, this is not the OP (me) replying this. I am still battling with the dealer to get these issues resolved.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 AM

FYI, this is an ongoing battle. I haven't had the car for two weeks now.

The dealer near me has taken care of the issues that are covered under CPO. Hopefully that is the majority of things like the wipers and windows.

The major outstanding issue is the large scratches on the roof of the car.

The dealer who shipped the car is claiming they were not there when the car left. I have a walk-around sheet from the shipper on drop off which indicates the damage. So now the finger pointing begins.

It is actually bringing me horrible flashbacks. I had my 420 SEl shipped up from Florida and the shipper put a HOLE in the side of the car. It looked like someone drove a forklift into it. I never got reimbursed for that after months of battle. I will NOT give up this time.

WAR!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Looks like they are trying to screw me...From the dealer:

"Dear XXX,

I just spoke to my manager. He says the vehicle left fine and there is no way that we are going to pick up a $XXXX.00 bill..... I spoke to the transport company and there are in denial of the whole thing. We want to make things work but someone elses mistake should not effect you or us. Let me know.

MB Dealer"
Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
crappy dealer, when I bought my CPO E55, I brought it back a couple days later due to a shake in the steering wheel.... they did an alignment, replaced a tire, rebalanced all of the wheels and a couple other things to get the car "right"....