Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to move door catch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML500
OK to move door catch?

My '02 ML's rear tailgate closes a bit off-center. Nudging the bottom to the right just 1/8th of an inch would make all the difference in the world appearance-wise. The top is centered perfectly, but the seams get noticeably bigger/smaller on each side as you get to the bottom of the tailgate.

Can I loosen the door catch, move it a bit, and retighten the torx bolts? Or is there something about the design of the catch that that won't work? Hate to truck all the way back to the dealer if I can just do it myself. Just don't want to loosen the bolts only to find I can't retighten them!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I don't know if I would do that as the alignment with the latch is critical as so far as closing tightly and rattle free. Your problem seems strange, has the ML been hit and repaired?? Perhaps its not the hatch thats misaligned but some other parts. I once saw an ML and while I was behind it I noticed the hatch misaligned, looking closer I also noticed that the ML was tracking funny. Happened to stop where I was going and asked the guy about it. He was unaware as he had just bought it from a used car dealer. Said it had had some minor damage from a fender bender.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML500
Nope - bought brand new (ML500) with 5 miles, no damage, just sloppily built, along with the popped-out (or never properly installed) plastic trim push rivet on the rear hatch, 3 popped push rivits that hold the front hood insulation to the underside of the hood (so that the insulation rested on engine when the hood was closed), dent/sound proof pad not stuck to anything inside CD changer compartment, big upward bulge in a rear door interior trim panel. Just sloppy lack of worksmanship.

The door catch looks very uncentered even relative to the interior trim piece (although, even if I moved it to where I think would be correct, I think it would still appear off center compared to the opening in the trim).

I just want to know if the catches are movable, and if I loosen the Torx bolts, will I be able to retighten them.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Have none of that with my ML500 but had a different set of problems. In the future, do as I learned to do with new MB's. Spend an hour or so ALONE with the car and go over it completely for cosmetic stuff. Give the salesman the list of discrepancies and tell him to call you back when the car is ready to deliver.