Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Brabus C55
HID bulb

Got the back cover & the wired socket off, but the bulb is putting up a fight and won't leave the head light housing ... I don't want to break anything ... has anyone replaced their HID bulbs?

(if you are simply going to post-up "i need to search the topic" ... been there done that ... )
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Brabus C55
Got the back cover & the wired socket off, but the bulb is putting up a fight and won't leave the head light housing ... I don't want to break anything ... has anyone replaced their HID bulbs?

(if you are simply going to post-up "i need to search the topic" ... been there done that ... )
Ok,, I have the e500 and don't know if it is the exact socket. My reco buy a replacement bulb and look at how it is made. There are 2 tangs that hold the bulb in the socked. It can be pulled out but I use a very small screwdriver to get it started.

If you break it I assume you will break the bulb and the base will still be installed. It is the metal base you have to get out. The E500 uses the H7 bulb and I have been using the Sylvania Ultra bulbs. Warning they have short life. I sent one back after 12 months to Sylvania and in their letter they told me the expected life was 12 months. For $30+ / bulb I think this is a tad high.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Brabus C55
thanks vettdvr

it sounds like you are refering to the Xenon bulb (looks like a big xmas bulb from the tree) w/ metal clip socket.

I actually got the HID bulb (twist plastic socket) out... there's a couple of metal "arms" that release the bulb.

I've been unable to get the after-market or the existing bulbs back-in. No clear line of sight & big hands haven't helped... so it's off to the "St(d)ealer" tomorrow @ 7am

This is the 2nd failed HID bulb on the driver side ... the last bulb lastest <20 hours(I really don't drive at night much).