Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This How The Tire Pressure Monitor Should Work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Is This How The Tire Pressure Monitor Should Work?

May I have your comments/suggestions on the following?

I was surprised when I installed one of my track tires/wheels (without a TPMS sensor) on the right front along with the 3 other stock TPMS wheels, that I did not get any warning message. Prior to installing this one wheel, the TPMS was active and apparently working normally.

When I had all 4 track/wheels without the TPMS sensors installed, I did get a warning message, although only after driving 20-30 miles.

I'd expect and hope that I'd immediately get a message if there is no sensor (or no air) in a wheel. If this is normal operation, I don't have much confidence in getting a timely warning of a significant air leak and rapid loss of air pressure. --- Comments?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Z28 camaro 6.0
lack of communication is not what trigures a warning light. it's not like an open or closed circuit thing. depending on your system, it's your sensor picking up variations of wheel speed or pressure.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM

02 WRX
You will most deffinetly get an error message with rapid air loss. The tire losing air pressure actually triggers the sensor to send a signal stating so. We use that same idea for diagnosis of a sensor, you basically manually release approx .5bar I believe to be sure the sensor is reporting air loss.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:07 AM

LSX Camaro
ditto, the sensor has to see a rapid drop in air pressure in a certain amount of time that is diff from the other sensors.