Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 350SDL dash light quit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 350SDL
1990 350SDL dash light quit

Dash lights started going dark on their own. You could touch the dimmer(same knob as trip odometer reset) and the lights would come back on. Then they quit working altogether. My first guess is to replace the dimmer switch since I can't find any blown fuses or even a fuse number that specifically lists dash light. Any one know if there's a fuse number I should specifically check? Would replacing the dimmer switch be the forum's first guess too? And if so, would should be taken apart?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 350 SDL
Possible Switch Fix............

This may sound a little weird, but I have used it with amazing success on electronic items, and switches before.
Go to Radio Shack & buy a self contained spray cleaner named "DE-OXIT". It comes with a little tube to attach for getting into tight places. Spray it into the switch, on both sides of the switch, and it will clean any contamination that occurs over the years. BE SURE THAT THE IGNITION IS OFF, AS WELL AS THE LIGHTS.
Allow it to set for 15 minutes or so - it leaves no residue behind and removes the contaminants as it is sprayed.
I have used this on all my old (1970's) stereo gear and it has faithfully performed and re-invigorated my stereo gear without fail. It certainly can do no harm, if used as directed.
Pass it on, if it works for you!