Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4matic vibration problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE 4matic
Question 4matic vibration problem

My June 1990 W124 300 TE 4matic has a very annoying quite severe vibration when driving. Just while driving in a straight line. When I set the (red) test-valve to test, the car does not vibrate. When I disengage the 4matic computer, whilst the test valve is in normal position, the car vibrates. So the problem seems to have to do with the hydraulic part. Then I found out the vibration occurs only after acceleration from stop (with 4matic computer connected). So I assumed it had to do with the situation that the 4matic control shifts from step 1 (65% rear wheels, 35% front wheels) to step 0 (100% rear wheels). To get this conformed, I disengaged the 4matic computer and made a connection between pins 2, 4 and 6 of the cable. Doing this, the system keeps in step 1. No vibration. So I know now that the vibration occurs only in rear wheel drive with hydraulic pressure, neither in rear wheel drive without hydraulic pressure nor in the 35-65% situation.
I think I came quite far in my analysis being an amateur, but who ca help me? I’m having this problem for 2 years now and here in Holland no one seems the understand this wonderful 4matic. For illustration: Lately I needed a new front spring, the MB dealer even managed to mount it about 20 degrees turned. No good at moments when you need your suspension with the front-axle crossing this spring. This just to get an impression of the knowledge of MB here.

John van der Vliet