Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mb Tech 208

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 10:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Question Mb Tech 208

Hi Dave,

Noticed a sulphur smell from the exhaust of my clk 500 after pulling in my garage, I don't know if I got a tank of poor quality fuel or something is wrong with my car. I've got about 700 miles on the car and started noticing the smell earlier this week, no malfunctions showing. I filled up with fuel from a different station just before I got home tonight, I'm hoping this clears it up. It's interesting when I got home from dinner earlier tonight the smell was there, about an hour later I went out for another short drive and no smell at all.

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 02-28-2003 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
There's an anti-corrosion coating they put on the exhaust at the factory, which burns off over the first thousand miles or so of driving. This may be what you smell.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mbtech208
There's an anti-corrosion coating they put on the exhaust at the factory, which burns off over the first thousand miles or so of driving. This may be what you smell.
Dave,

Smell is definetly coming from out of the exhaust pipe and I been noticing it just this week. I have no check engine or malfunction lights. The smell comes and goes. If I have an O2 sensor out of whack or running too rich would I not have a malfunction/check engine light on?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2003, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
don't worry

I'm almost certain that it's just the high-sulphur fuels that we suffer from in North America.

In normal driving, some of the sulphur precipitates on the cat's honeycomb, and then when the cat really warms up a lot due to a richer mixture (such as when climbing a hill), the sulphur is burned off the honeycomb and you or at least the cars following you can smell it.

Is there a hill that you drive up right before your home? If so, that would explain it.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:12 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: don't worry

Originally posted by Mike T.
I'm almost certain that it's just the high-sulphur fuels that we suffer from in North America.

In normal driving, some of the sulphur precipitates on the cat's honeycomb, and then when the cat really warms up a lot due to a richer mixture (such as when climbing a hill), the sulphur is burned off the honeycomb and you or at least the cars following you can smell it.

Is there a hill that you drive up right before your home? If so, that would explain it.
No hills down here in S. FLA but I've also read about what you note above. I've switched gas and I'm hoping it goes away. Thanks for the post.