Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300CE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300CE
300CE issues

Hi, I have a 1991 300CE with the M104 engine that has been having one problem after another, and I figured it would be best to get some opinions here. The problems started when I noticed it was spewing oil. I got my mechanic to look it over and I ended up having to spending about a grand getting the oil cooler resealed/rebuilt. He checked the head gaskets at this time and said that they appeared to be OK. The car was running at this point but was not drivable. My mechanic then told me it needed a CIS fuel distributor and a fuel filter. At this point, I took it to a shop that was better equipped to do this type of work and was told the same thing. I ordered a rebuilt one from Germanstar and got it installed, bringing the total in repair+parts costs to around $2000. I come to find out the car is still running rough. It is now overheating and I am being told there is a major hesitation and most likely a problem with the fuel injectors. The shop says it will be $170 just to diagnose the problem. On top of this, there are smaller issues with the suspension and tires I would need to get done soon as well. I only recently purchased the car and do not want to cut my losses as I have become fairly attached and am holding onto my faith that I am only a few hundred dollars away from having an engine that won't have any major issues for a while. I would like some opinions as to what is making it overheat as well as what to do about the fuel injector problem. I would also like to know what you guys think I should do. I am no mechanic and I know to expect a 25 year old Mercedes to cost a pretty penny to keep running, but I wasn't prepared for this. Thanks, any advise would be appreciated. Please help if you can.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM

1990 300 E-24
MB M104 Repairs

If you look through these forums, they are full of guys spending big money on their Mercs - mine (mine's an M-104 engine too) just cost over $1500.00 for the EZL module to be replaced - the Achilles heel of your model too I'm afraid. Plus if you replace the module, you need to renew the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug leads, ignition coil and maybe more otherwise the module won't be guaranteed.

I guess the bottom line is, if you love MB you'll also be prepared to spend the money to run them. If not, bail out now is my advice. But my wife hit a Toyota in her Merc (1975 230.4) a few months back with my 2 sons in the car as well. It wasn't a big accident, but the Merc was virtually damage free (some slight grill damage, fixable) and the Toyota was a wreck. I was sure glad they were in the good old Merc and not the Toyota.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM

inlymbat
I accept with 300IC:
It is now overheating and I am being told there is a major hesitation and most likely a problem with the fuel injectors. The shop says it will be $170 just to diagnose the problem. On top of this, there are smaller issues with the suspension and tires I would need to get done soon as well.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
$170 to diagnose injectors? Are you kidding me? He sure better be removing all 6, flow testing and cleaning them for that price...

You need a new Indy. You are getting ripped off big time.