Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could source of battery drain be due to brake-by-wire system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could source of battery drain be due to brake-by-wire system?

Last year my 2003 SL500 started having the rear trunk accessory battery go flat. The battery was replaced, and the new one was doing the same thing shortly thereafter, draining the battery within a day or two. I took it into the shop, and they told me there was definitely an electrical drain coming from somewhere in the car, one of the computer modules was apparently not shutting off.

After 12 hours of them disconnecting modules, unhooking this and that, they couldn't find what was drawing the current. But now I have an idea...

I heard my car in the garage one day make a noise that sounded like a generator, or a pump...making almost a grinding noise that lasted for about 3 seconds. I have heard this same noise previously at times when unlocking my car, but have noticed it also do it when I get in the car and my foot touches the brake pedal to prepare to start the car. My car makes this noise about once every hour now (on it's own) , so I believe whatever is making this noise is the source of the electrical current draw.

The noise comes from under the hood, it sound like it's slightly on the passenger side, but not 100% certain. Since I have noticed this same noise when I get ready to start the car and hit the brake pedal, could this be related to a booster pump, or some part of the brake by wire system generating some sort of pressure?

I'm dying to get this resolved, because I can't afford another 12 hours at the repair shop without resolution, and I can't leave my car off a trickle charger for more than 24 hours or the battery goes flat.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
see if you are able to hear the fans of the operating unit A/C once you turn the car off.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 PM

No, there isn't any noise that I can hear

Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
how often does the battery drain... in other words, does this happen regularly, every 2 days like clockwork or does it happen sporadically... The most common reason for battery drain is usually a network device that will not sleep and it could well be related to the sound you hear but without more info its difficult to help...
Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 PM

It appears to be the SBC pump that is making the noise

Through some more research, I found out that it is the SBC pump that is making the noise. I have noticed that I hear this pump about once every hour in my garage. It is consistent, and my battery will drain consistently within a day or two.

So I'm wondering if this is a faulty SBC pump that needs replaced, or is this likely a module that is not shutting down? The service center said that there is something pulling a consistent current in the system, but tehy couldn't locate which module was doing it.

So is it safe to assume the module that is in-line with the SBC pump is not shutting off ?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by bboyer32
Through some more research, I found out that it is the SBC pump that is making the noise. I have noticed that I hear this pump about once every hour in my garage. It is consistent, and my battery will drain consistently within a day or two.

So I'm wondering if this is a faulty SBC pump that needs replaced, or is this likely a module that is not shutting down? The service center said that there is something pulling a consistent current in the system, but tehy couldn't locate which module was doing it.

So is it safe to assume the module that is in-line with the SBC pump is not shutting off ?
#1 You need to go to a different dealer if yours can't diagnose the problem. #2 MB has extended the warranty on the SBC pump to 10 years (not that it's the problem but if it is, it's big$$ if you had to pay for it.)
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM

several
Originally Posted by mleskovar
#1 You need to go to a different dealer if yours can't diagnose the problem. #2 MB has extended the warranty on the SBC pump to 10 years (not that it's the problem but if it is, it's big$$ if you had to pay for it.)
#3 Check for leaks if the pump is running that offen. 10 YEARS good to know thanks.