Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resistor vs nonresistor spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 Kompressor
Exclamation Resistor vs nonresistor spark plugs?

What is a good after market spark plug for a 2003 C230 Kompressor?

We bought Autolite IRIDIUM plugs, and then were told by a mechanic at the local MB dealership that I cannot use these plugs because they are resistor plugs and supposedly they MUST ONLY be BOSCH non-resistor plugs because the resistor is in the coil.....says my check engine light will be on and the car will run terribly.

Is this true or a money scam? I looked at Bosch mercedes plugs on thepartsbin.com, and they appeared to be resistor plugs so I am highly suspicious at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brittany
Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I use NGK Iridium's (resistor) in my corvette with no issue.

For our MB I bought Bosch from an online dealer.

I see no reason why the Iridium won't work. I do think the MB

Is set up to run the BOSCH plug. But what you have should work. If they threads etc are identical to OEM I would give them a try. If they dont' work you can pull them out.

Also consider you don't have to put all of them in. You could put only 1 side of the engine and then run it. If it runs ok then do the other half.

There is no reason you have to install all the plugs at one time. After all the old plugs are working if there is a issue with the new plugs changing half will show the issue and you can easily put the old ones back if necessary.

What you have should work. Remember I don't sell plugs or make $$ on this recommendation and of course your results may vary.