Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange (exhaust?) noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 CDi, 280 GE SWB, 911 SC
Strange (exhaust?) noises

Wonder if any of you can help? I had the cats replaced on my E430 (W210) estate a few months back.

They are not MB ones but pattern parts. Immediately after fitting the car developed a strange noise under acceleration - only from the drivers side (on the right as I'm in UK). On squeezing accelerator more than 1/2 way there is a high pitched whistle that is very noticeable (especially when the window is down). The noise is not constant but flutters. It now occurs when even gently accelerating.

No one seems to be able to pin down the noise and I wonder with all the expertise out there that maybe someone's heard something like this before?

The mechanic that fitted them said it could be a bad weld in the cat itself which then acts like a 'reed' and makes the whistle. He has since disappeared and the people at the garage now say they can't trace it at all and that it's more likely an air leak in the engine bay.

Just seems a bit of a coincidence that it started immediately after having the cats fitted. Any help greatly appreciated even if just so I can point my local garage in the right direction!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by flat6buster
Wonder if any of you can help? I had the cats replaced on my E430 (W210) estate a few months back.

They are not MB ones but pattern parts. Immediately after fitting the car developed a strange noise under acceleration - only from the drivers side (on the right as I'm in UK). On squeezing accelerator more than 1/2 way there is a high pitched whistle that is very noticeable (especially when the window is down). The noise is not constant but flutters. It now occurs when even gently accelerating.

No one seems to be able to pin down the noise and I wonder with all the expertise out there that maybe someone's heard something like this before?

The mechanic that fitted them said it could be a bad weld in the cat itself which then acts like a 'reed' and makes the whistle. He has since disappeared and the people at the garage now say they can't trace it at all and that it's more likely an air leak in the engine bay.

Just seems a bit of a coincidence that it started immediately after having the cats fitted. Any help greatly appreciated even if just so I can point my local garage in the right direction!
they didn't weld it properly
Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 CDi, 280 GE SWB, 911 SC
Thank you is that the cat manufacturer or the garage that fitted it? I guess that's hard to tell....