Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Electrical Gremlin CL55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 240d
Strange Electrical Gremlin CL55 AMG

Ok, I'm posting this for a friend who is having some really strange issues with his 03 CL55 AMG. It all started with the cigarette lighter fuse blowing the other day. He went to plug in his cell charger which blew the fuse F86 i believe. Also, immediately after the a/c quit working. The little red light on the A/C button (EC light) is stuck on. I tried doing the reset with the key in 2nd stage pressing button key off for 3 seconds blah blah blah, with no luck I started the car and opened the hood to verify that the A/C compressor was engaged and it was. It started to squeal badly so i walked back over to see if i could see the belt sleeping or the compressor seizing. After about a minute the car just died and the cooling fans came on full blast. I sat back in the car and there was a message on the display that said ESP Malfunction visit workshop. I turned the key off and tried to turn it back on and the key wouldnt turn. At this point i'm freaking out. I figured maybe the batteries died in the key since the buttons didnt work either. I then replaced the CR2025's in the key with no luck. I checked the fuses and the 7.5 amp (F78) on the passenger side was blown. I took the spare out of the trunk swapped it out and the key worked and started back up.. 3 seconds later it died and gave the ESP malfunction again and also blew the fuse. I checked all the ESP fuses, F2, F34, and F80 i believe and they're all good. Now the car blows the F78 fuse immediately before i even get a chance to turn the key on and the car is stuck at a tire shop with the windows down. Can anyone that might have experienced this same or similar problem chime in? I did find another post by someone with the same car and same isssue but he never posted what the problem was.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Looks like you or someone else really screwed it up. Have it towed to a dealership and correctly diagnosed and repaired. Keep your fingers out of stuff you know nothing about!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 240d
What kind of response is this? Why are you assuming i know nothing about it? Do us both a favor and just dont post here unless you have an useful information. There is no dealer in town and the windows are stuck down. Luckily the guys at the tire shop let us park it inside overnight. My first guess is that the battery is weak or there is a bad ground somewhere. I plan on replacing the battery first thing tomorrow.

See post by raycanales earlier:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ight-help.html

Last edited by ascalise; 04-23-2010 at 09:32 PM.