Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost key inside the car can't lock the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 W209
Lost key inside the car can't lock the car?

Hi guys I had such situation, when waxing, cleaning my car a lost key with keyless go. I get second one as I was not able to find it anywhere. With the second key everything works OK except that o can't lock the car and the display says "key not recognized". So my question is. Can you lock the car with the handle button if the key is inside the car? I might still have the lost key somewhere in the car. Thanks for help.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If its like my W212 or W164 you will be unable to lock your car when the other key is inside. That is until the batteries in the lost key fail which may be years. I suggest you make a concerted effort to find that lost key. Not only will you not be able to lock it but anyone can get in and start the car.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
if the cluster displays the message saying "key not recognized" that means the key you are using isn't setup for keyless go, isn't a keyless go key or the batteries are just dead.. Usually when a key is left in the vehicle and you try to lock it by other means it will say something similar to "Key left in vehicle".. I would raise both of your seats and move them fully to the front or rear and make sure it didn't fall under the seats or get pushed under one of the floor mats. Also, make sure you didn't toss it in the trunk.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
if the cluster displays the message saying "key not recognized" that means the key you are using isn't setup for keyless go, isn't a keyless go key or the batteries are just dead.. Usually when a key is left in the vehicle and you try to lock it by other means it will say something similar to "Key left in vehicle".. I would raise both of your seats and move them fully to the front or rear and make sure it didn't fall under the seats or get pushed under one of the floor mats. Also, make sure you didn't toss it in the trunk.
Both of mine do not say anything but remove key and it says that every time I shut it off. If one of my keys are left in the car (s) it just will not lock. Try starting the vehicle without your other key nearby, see what happens.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Kubis
Hi guys I had such situation, when waxing, cleaning my car a lost key with keyless go. I get second one as I was not able to find it anywhere. With the second key everything works OK except that o can't lock the car and the display says "key not recognized". So my question is. Can you lock the car with the handle button if the key is inside the car? I might still have the lost key somewhere in the car. Thanks for help.

what's your address? I'll come by and, um, help you find the key. Yeah, that's it, I'll only look for the key. I promise not to steal your car or anything
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 AM

CLK 320 W209
Hi, guys.. thanks for help.. I did my best and found the key.. it wasnt in the car at the end of the day.. but it is strange as I took second key and wasnt able to lock it.. maybe the key is KO or maybe because I have opened the car with one key and then try to lock with another which just didnt match.. that might be the problem =)
Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 AM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
I was gonna say I didn't think the lost key was the problem. I have a 2005 CLK 500 and two keys and while I can't lock the car with the key inside normally, if I have the second key with me I can lock and unlock the doors from the outside with the handle button and the fob button. I don't know if the car will start once it is locked from the outside since that would take locking someone inside my car with a key and I don't trust anyone that much. ;-)

Good luck with the new key. I'm interested in knowing what's wrong.

Steve