Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake fluid change on 2004 cl600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
brake fluid change on 2004 cl600

i have a 2004 cl600 bi-turbo and am wanting to do a brake fluid flush and change. does anyone know what quantity of brake fluid is needed for this procedure? my manual says the brake system holds 0.7 us quarts. also, any recommendations on any other fluids besides m.b.? synthetics, castrol, etc.
thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
MB fluid is best.

You should really not attempt anything without reference to factory procedures--especially as regards safety systems. With respect to Mercedes don't believe for a nanosecond "cars are cars."

There is hardly any relationship at all between system capacity and how much fluid you'll use bleeding the system. Get plenty.

Get the service DVD--it shows all.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=11498

Or, for $18 for 24 hours you can "subscribe" and print or download all procedures you wish. Download requires something like a pdf printer.

http://www.startekinfo.com
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I just flushed my brake fluid this week on an 08 ML350. It was very easy and saved a fortune. I purchased this...
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Gear-01...2915149&sr=8-2

and used ATE brand blue racing brake fluid. The fluid exceeds all of the M/B specs.

I siphoned out the master cylinder reservoir the best I could then filled it with the new fluid. This ATE fluid is bright blue and the old was a golden color. It helped to see the color change as it flushes.
I poured the remainder into the bleeder, pumped it once to bleed the air out of the line, attached the cap, and pumped it to 5 on the gauge.

I then opened the first bleeder screw furthest from the master cylinder until it bled bright blue. Did all four wheels and had left over fluid(only used 3/4 of 1 liter).

Brakes worked fine, feel the same. The hardest part was removing and replacing the wheels(heavy), but not too bad. It was to really nice to clean each wheel while it was off and then used Amour All Wheel Protectant spray to prevent brake dust build up. The spray is awesome so far, the wheels shine like new after 100 miles.
You may not need to remove the wheels, but it really allowed me to get in there and limited the mess and clean up.

Last edited by Benzo 003; 08-27-2010 at 10:00 AM.